|Mane||¤ Pale, light grayish arctic blue and cerulean|
|Relatives||Unicorn little sister[note 1]|
| Cutie mark|
Gaffer in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11
|Eyes||Moderate malachite green|
|Mane||Moderate lime green|
|Coat||¤ Brilliant orange and light goldish gray|
|Magic aura||Pale, light grayish azure|
| Cutie mark|
Development and designs
Gaffer somewhat resembles Sunburst. His name refers to the head electrician/lighting technician of a production in television and film. It may also refer to The Lord of the Rings character Hamfast Gamgee. Some of his dialogue in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12 alludes to Sam Beckett of Quantum Leap.
Depiction in the comics
In the IDW comics story arc Neigh Anything, 8-bit and Gaffer appear in flashback, along with Poindexter as Shining Armor's friends at Canterlot Academy and members of his Oubliettes & Ogres role-playing group. When Shining Armor falls in love with Princess Cadance and wants her to his very special somepony, 8-bit and Gaffer initially believe such a goal to be impossible, but after realizing how determined and lovesick he is, they decide to help.
Together, they put on an extravagant musical performance during the pep rally and Fall Formal parade to get Cadance's attention. When that fails due to Buck Withers' interference, they try to sabotage Buck's championship polo game, which also fails.
In the second part of the story, they enact a plan during the Fall Formal Gala to get Shining Armor closer to Cadance and expose Buck's true colors. While Cadance approaches Shining Armor, 8-bit and Gaffer distract Buck from the rafters. Their plan eventually ends in success, with Shining Armor and Cadance being crowned Fall Formal king and queen and sharing their first kiss.
In the My Little Pony: FIENDship is Magic Issue #5 story The Many Tales of Queen Chrysalis, 8-bit appears on page 12 in present date on a date with Rarity. However, Rarity talks about herself the whole evening, causing 8-bit to doze off.
In the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #41 story Rainbow Dash and the Very Bad Day, 8-bit appear on page 12 arguing with Shining Armor and Poindexter while under the effect of the Drearies. They reconcile on page 17, and Gaffer reads a Daring Do book on page 18.
- "I think somepony still has his head on tri-colored hair and blue eyes."
- — 8-bit, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11
- "I have written 367 successful "Oubliettes & Ogres" campaigns. If I can't come up with a quest for the hero to get the girl, I may as well turn in my nerd badge."
- — Gaffer, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11
- "You, sir, are not a popular pony. People think you have no personality. No pizzazz! We've got to get you in front of everypony. In less than 5 minutes, we are going to make you the talk of the academy!"
- — Gaffer, to Shining Armor, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11
- "Hey, we still have, like... three hours before we have to be at the dance. Want to play a quick round of "Hocuspocus: The Get-Together"?"
- — 8-bit, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12
- "Okay, I got them together! Why haven't I leaped, Al?"
- — Gaffer, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12
- ↑ Mentioned on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11 page 8 and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 7.
- ↑ "8-bit" is the capitalization used in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11 story Oubliettes & Ogres; "8-Bit" is the capitalization used by Andy Price.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Andy Price (2013-09-25). Andy Price on Twitter: "@Masem @angienessyo @katiecandraw yes, it is an 8-sided die, and 8-Bit's is a Space Invader". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 April 24.