|This article may be out of date (missing information such as Hasbro merchandise's uses of "Dr. Hooves" and Funko merchandise's uses of "Dr. Hooves" and, once, "Dr. Whooves").|
| Dr. Hooves|
|Eyes||Pale, light grayish cobalt blue|
|Nicknames||Dr (The Periodic Table of My Little Pony)|
|Relatives||FIENDship is Magic 03 Unnamed Stallion - Time-Turner (ancient relative)|
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||Brian Drummond (English, S1E12)|
Tabitha St. Germain (English, S1E16, as a Pegasus)
Jayson Thiessen (English, S4E21)
Stefano Pozzi (Italian)
Yoshiyuki Shimozuma (Japanese, S1E12)
Ryou Kuratomi (Japanese, S1E16, as a Pegasus)
Kim Seung-jun (Korean)
Leszek Zduń (Polish)
Arturo Cataño (Latin American Spanish)
Depiction in the seriesDr. Hooves appears in the background of multiple episodes. His only speaking role as an Earth pony is when he rejects Apple Bloom's offer of buying apples in Call of the Cutie and gets pressured into buying one in return for getting her to leave him alone. He was placed in the scene by storyboard artist Sabrina Alberghetti for his colors and design.
- "If I buy some apples, will you please leave me alone?"
- — Dr. Hooves to Apple Bloom
He makes a somewhat prominent appearance in Green Isn't Your Color, carrying Photo Finish's palanquin in place of Crescent Moon together with Twilight Sky. He appears wearing a hat in Appleloosa, sometimes with the same mane and tail style as Goldengrape, in Over a Barrel. In The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, he makes another somewhat prominent appearance where he is in charge of spinning the hourglass that starts the competition between the Flim Flam Brothers and the Apple family. During this scene he wears a green tie. He was intentionally placed into the scene by the storyboarding supervisor for the episode. Dr. Hooves later appears a few times in Hearts and Hooves Day. He is seen running past Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle while accidentally splashing mud on them during the musical sequence. He reappears in Apple Bloom's imagination while running around in a panic, as well as in two village shots standing next to Derpy on the bridge. He also appears in It's About Time, laughing at Twilight Sparkle's idea of time travel. In A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2, he is seen cornered in an alley with Golden Harvest and "Tornado Bolt", as well as running across the street from a changeling.
In One Bad Apple, he is one of the two ponies nearly run down as the Cutie Mark Crusaders chase after Babs Seed using Pinkie Pie's parade float. In this appearance, he wears a polka-dotted bow tie, and is dressed as a pear. He also appears during the song Babs Seed, sitting in a movie theater with Cloud Kicker.In Flight to the Finish, Dr. Hooves stands next to Rose in one scene. In the beginning of Rarity Takes Manehattan, he is seen with a single suitcase. He also appears in Pinkie Pride, Simple Ways, Filli Vanilli, Twilight Time, and It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, in the latter of which he wears a pair of 3D glasses and is again seen alongside Rose. He later appears in Leap of Faith. In Testing Testing 1, 2, 3, he and Goldengrape are backup singers in Pinkie Pie's song The rappin' Hist'ry of the Wonderbolts. He appears in Trade Ya!, sometimes with the same mane and tail style as Goldengrape again in Equestria Games, and in Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1 and its recap at the beginning of Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2.
Dr. Hooves appears in Appleoosa's Most Wanted. At PonyCon AU in Australia, it was confirmed that Dr. Hooves would appear in the 100th episode, and it was hinted that his personality in the episode would be closer to that of his namesake.
Re-use of design and color
Dr. Hooves' character design and color scheme is sometimes used for other pony kinds. Crescent Moon, a Pegasus pony sharing his character model with a lighter version of his color scheme, appears in Sonic Rainboom, Green Isn't Your Color, Hearth's Warming Eve, Hearts and Hooves Day, Hurricane Fluttershy, Wonderbolts Academy, and Rainbow Falls, and as an Earth pony in Magical Mystery Cure. Another Pegasus pony sharing his character model, color scheme, and cutie mark is featured in Sonic Rainboom. Rainbow Dash switches numbers with him when she tries to delay her performance in the Best Young Flyer competition. The character is voiced by Tabitha St. Germain as a Pegasus. As with other background ponies, Dr. Hooves appears without cutie mark and/or in more than one place during some shots, such as in the scene when Twilight Sparkle talks to Princess Celestia at the end of Friendship is Magic, part 2, and appears with alternate cutie marks during some shots, such as in Simple Ways, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, Leap of Faith, Trade Ya!, and Appleoosa's Most Wanted.
Depiction in comicsTime-Turner[sic] appears in comic book issue #1 on page 3. He is featured on the issue's Detroit comic book stores exclusive Cover RE. On the issue's Lone Star Comics exclusive variant Cover RE, he is featured on the cover of a magazine titled Hoof Beat, showing him with a caption beginning "Time-Turner answers YOUR questio..." and a speech balloon containing the word "spoilers". On the Hot Topic variant of the issue, it features Derpy Hooves and Time-Turner[sic] in a Doctor Who themed cover, featuring the Doctor's TARDIS, and the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver. He is also featured on issue #2's Midtown Comics exclusive Cover RE where the reference to Doctor Who is made more explicit with him wearing a long orange and brown scarf which the fourth incarnation of the Doctor (played by Tom Baker) was famous for wearing. The cover also includes a nod to the Doctor's TARDIS in the shape and color of the street lamp, as well as a pony version of memorable Doctor Who villain, a Weeping Angel.
He later appears in issue #8 during the battle with Nightmare Rarity's shadow creatures where he is seen trying to get his sonic screwdriver to work whilst a shadow creature looks at him confused.
Also in issues #7 and #8, similar ponies can also be seen standing near him; in issue #7, a pony resembling eleventh Doctor Matt Smith can be seen wearing a fez and bow tie, and in issue #8, there is a pony wearing a scarf with a mane style reminiscent of Tom Baker.
In issue #9, Time-Turner[sic] is seen in the background showing a Fob Watch to Derpy, claiming the watch to be him (Based on the premise of Doctor Who Television Story; 'Human Nature'). Derpy however, questions whether she knows him.
Depiction in merchandiseA mini-figure toy of Dr. Hooves was leaked in late July 2013. Dr. Hooves appears in the Comic Con 2011 poster along with many other ponies from the cast.
Dr. Hooves was first given the trademarked name Time Turner on the My Little Pony trading cards unveiled in BronyCon 2012. He appears on a card together with Mayor Mare, and his description bills him as her official town timekeeper, "the pony responsible for keeping Ponyville's clocks in sync, setting the hourglass for cider competitions, and pretty much all things timey-wimey." The cards were designed specifically with the brony demographic of older fans in mind, and the writer-consultant for the set has said the consultants submitted "at least a dozen direct fandom nods".
Following the trading cards' July 2012 retail store release, the character has appeared as Time Turner on an August 2012 Mighty Fine T-shirt. Despite this, he still appears on multiple other Mighty Fine products as "Dr. Hooves" and as "Doctor Whooves". In August 2012, "Doctor Whooves" t-shirts and a "seat belt belt" became available for sale at Hot Topic.
In the collectible card game, α #197 UR, a card of Dr. Hooves, states "An owl delivered an ancient scroll to Dr. Hooves one fateful morning. The only legible text left on the parchment was XHRPPAXLFSVZB." In the game's expansion set Canterlot Nights, #12 R, another card of Dr. Hooves, attributes to him and Roseluck the respective quotes "I made it!" and "You're twelve years too late!" In the game's expansion set The Crystal Games, #10 R and #ƒ6, more cards of Dr. Hooves, give him the description "Dr. Hooves just keeps picking up new skills. Nopony knows how he finds the time to learn so much", and #Pƒ4, yet another card of Dr. Hooves, gives him the description "There's an outrageous amount of running involved in being Dr. Hooves. Sometimes he can't help but be a LITTLE splashy."
Dr. Hooves, under the name Time Turner, is one of the My Little Pony companions added to Gaia Online in early July 2013. A description of him on the website reads "An earth pony that takes care of all things timey-wimey."
On November 23, 2013, the Hub Network both posted on Facebook and tweeted a picture of Dr. Hooves and Apple Bloom with the comment "Here's to epic days for fandoms everywhere!" and, on Twitter, with the hashtags #DoctorWho50th, #MLPSeason4, and #BestDayEver. This hints towards the Day of the Doctor being on the same day as the season four premiere.
My Little Pony mobile game description
Time Turner was his initial name in the mobile game, but as of version 1.2.2 his name has been changed to Dr. Hooves. Prior to the first version's release, Dr[sic] Whooves was his name in a presentation of the game at My Little Pony Project 2012 New York.
Dr. Hooves keeps Ponyville's clocks in sync, sets the hourglass for cider competitions, and takes care of all things timey-wimey.
Times are approximate and taken from videos with no prolonged transition for commercial breaks.
|1||19:57 when Pinkie Pie moves her head down then seen various times in the multiple ponies at 20:16.|
|2||20:22 then seen multiple times in the background.|
|3||2:28 in the line of ponies.|
|6||2:24 he is seen for the rest of Trixie's boasting, 20:06.|
|11||1:45 in the group of ponies, 2:49 and also 3:31, 4:40 and 4:49, 12:55 and appears most through the scene, 15:10 pushing a plow closest to the screen, two Dr. Hooveses at 19:31 and appears twice again in the next scene then again in 20:24.|
|12||5:22-5:45, making his famous scene.|
|14||13:19, there are multiple copies of them throughout Rarity's show.|
|16||Pegasus at 14:22.|
|20||In place of Crescent Moon with his color scheme at 6:51, normal color scheme at the far left at 16:42, 17:18 and when Fluttershy gets thrown around by Twilight's magic, and again in the stage shot at 18:12.|
|21||13:39 through the rest of Pinkie Pie's song in the background, 15:51, 15:55 with the same mane and tail style as Goldengrape, 17:06, 17:59, 18:03 in the doorway, 18:18, 18:57 for a second, 20:04, 20:30, 20:34.|
|2||14:28 - in Applejack's flashback of Winter Wrap Up|
|8||3:15 - in the crowd praising Rainbow Dash; 4:52 - cheering for Rainbow Dash, between Derpy and Orange Swirl|
|11||4:01 ~ 6:56 - acting in the pageant; 20:24 - singing The Heart Carol
Duplicates: 20:24 - several in the sweeping crowd shot
|12||4:12 - in Ponyville, surprised by Granny Smith|
|14||7:50 - cleaning the rodeo grounds; 8:52 - in Dodge Junction|
|15||3:49 - in the crowd complaing; 5:36 ~ 8:46 - in the crowd during The Flim Flam Brothers; 8:50 ~ 12:53 - in the crowd when Flim and Flam challenge the Apples; 13;10, 13:41, 13:54, 14:05 - at the cider-making competition; 20:44 - watching Flim and Flam leave; 20:55 - looking at barrels of cider|
|17||0:02, 3:30, 4:11 - in Ponyville Town Square; 3:54 - splashes Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle with mud during The Perfect Stallion; 13:37 - in Apple Bloom's fantasy of Ponyville|
|18||5:34 - appears during Smile Song|
|19||7:50 ~ 9:20 - at Iron Will's seminar (with several duplicates)|
|20||4:02 ~ 4:18 - listening to (and laughing at) Twilight; 4:55 ~ 5:04 - listening to Twilight and looking at Pinkie Pie|
|23||0:02, 9:01 - in wide-angle shot of Ponyville|
|26||14:29 - cornered by changelings; 15:26 - chased by a changeling; 17:47 - at the second wedding; 20:34 - in a photo of Rainbow Dash and Soarin; 20:35 - in a photo of Rarity and Fancy Pants; 20:36 - watching Princess Cadance and Shining Armor leave|
|3||13:23 ~ 14:40 - in the crowd complaining about Pinkie Pie
Duplicates: 13:23 - one in the crowd
|4||8:13 - in the movie theater during Babs Seed (song); 15:11, 16:38 - riding a cucumber float, dressed as a pear; 16:03, 16:40 - in the parade-watching crowd (with several duplicates); 16:41 - jumps out of the way of Pinkie Pie's float|
|5||3:03 - near Town Hall when Trixie appears (no cutie mark); 3:05, 3:27 - in the crowd of ponies; 20:36 - watching Twilight perform for the Saddle Arabians
Duplicates: 3:03 - one in the crowd
|13||19:06 ~ 20:38 - at Twilight's princess coronation; 21:08, 21:15 - in the crowd during Life in Equestria|
|5||19:58 - next to Rose; 20:27 - in the sweeping crowd shot, next to Rose
Duplicates: 20:31 - one in the crowd
|8||0:00 - at the train station with a single suitcase|
|12||0:01 - next to Apple Bumpkin in Appleloosa; 3:11 - with other ponies during Pinkie the Party Planner; 5:43, 6:09, 6:40 - seen during The Super Duper Party Pony; 13:10 ~ 16:32 - watching Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich's goof off
Duplicates: one at 0:01
|13||0:04, 0:10, 0:50 - at the Ponyville Days Festival announcement; 21:20 - watching the Ponyville Days fashion show
Duplicates: several at 0:10, one at 21:20
|14||10:05 - at the Ponyville Pet Center fundraiser; 12:16 - cheering for the Pony Tones
Duplicates: two at 12:16
|15||9:37 - walking past the Hay Burger with Cherry Berry|
|16||3:42 - next to Amethyst Star; 4:26 ~ 5:12 - watching the Breezies fly through Ponyville; 6:17 - cheering for Fluttershy; 13:46 - trotting next to Rose, wearing 3D glasses and a tie|
|20||3:35, 3:40 - inside the tent; 4:13 - on Flim and Flam's display slide; 4:42 ~ 6:16 - seen during Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic (different cutie mark); 14:38 ~ 16:19 - as a Ponyville Swim Meet judge
Duplicates: one at 3:35, 4:42, and 5:10
|21||10:29 ~ 11:04 - singing backup in The rappin' Hist'ry of the Wonderbolts|
|22||0:36 - welcoming Princess Twilight to the Traders Exchange; 4:50 - walking through the Traders Exchange; 13:16 - at Pinkie Pie's auction of Twilight's books; 14:26 - in the background behind the oat burger stand (no cutie mark); 19:17 ~ 19:59 - at the Traders Exchange trial (different cutie mark at 19:17)
Duplicates: one at 0:36, 14:29, and 19:59
|24||2:16 - at the Crystal Empire train station; 4:33, 5:44 - in the Equestria Games crowd; 16:07 ~ 16:29, 17:29 ~ 17:47, 18:15, 18:18 - competing in the ice archery event (different mane style); 18:30 - watching the ice cloud fall|
|25||20:00, 20:05 - in an auditorium crowd
Duplicates: one at 20:00
|6||With different cutie mark and wearing hat|
- Call of the Cutie
- Apple Bloom: You sir, care t' buy some apples?
- Dr. Hooves: Ah, no thanks.
- Apple Bloom: Why not?
- Dr. Hooves: I have plenty at home.
- Apple Bloom: A-are you sure?
- Dr. Hooves: Yes, I'm pretty sure I-...
- Apple Bloom: You're pretty sure, but you're not absolutely positively completely super-duper sure, are ya'?
- Dr. Hooves: Y-ah... If I buy some apples, will you please leave me alone?
- Apple Bloom: Aaal-right!
- "Oh. Umm... Oh, I guess that's me!"
- — Pegasus version, Sonic Rainboom
- "This watch is me!"
- — Friendship is Magic Issue #9 page 8
- "I made it!"
- — Enterplay collectible card game Canterlot Nights #12 R card of Dr. Hooves
- Dr. Hooves on the Collectible Card Game Wiki
- Dr. Hooves on the My Little Pony Gameloft Wiki
- Doctor Whooves on the Fan Wiki
- ↑ Ted Anderson and Agnes Garbowska, The Creative Team Behind FIENDship is Magic: SIRENS, Talk Ponies of the Deep. IDW Publishing (2015-03-24). Retrieved on 2015 April 16.
- ↑ Brian Drummond (2015-05-04). Brian Drummond on Twitter: "Yup. Did Time Turner in that episode, so I must've done that pony as well. :) https://t.co/Stqmq6h2OG". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 May 4.
- ↑ Twitter / BrianDrummondVO: @jordanolling Oui, c'est moi. ... (2013-01-24). Retrieved on 2013 January 24.
- ↑ Tweet from St. Germain
- ↑ Jim Miller (2014-04-05). TheBiggestJim: #MLPSeason4 secrets. The .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 April 5.
- ↑ Jayson Thiessen Q&A on reddit, Doctor Whooves (2011-08-27). Retrieved on 2011 August 28.
- ↑ Equestria Daily comment by Enterplay consultant Wendy Epstein (2012-12-07). Retrieved on 2011 July 31. Archived locally.
- ↑ Doctor Whooves Officially named Dr. Hooves. Equestria Daily (2012-07-12). Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ DeviantArt: Comment on Dr. Hooves Nouveau by *hezaa (2012-07-13). Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ Q&A with the Comic Con poster artist. Retrieved on 2011 August 27.
- ↑ Sabrina Alberghetti discussing Apple Bloom's market scene (2011-09-22). Retrieved on 2011 September 23.
- ↑ Sabrina Alberghetti on Dr. Hooves's positioning with the hourglass (2012-01-31). Retrieved on 2012 January 31.
- ↑ Sethisto (2015-02-25). More Season 5 Reveals, Including Episode 100 Information and Maud Pie. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2015 March 1.
- ↑ Andy Price (2012-10-13). MLP:FIM Page 3 issue 1. Retrieved on 2012 October 14.
- ↑ Rich Johnston (2012-10-30). Eighteen Of The Nineteen Covers For My Little Pony #1. Bleeding Cool. Retrieved on 2012 October 30.
- ↑ My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #2 Midtown Exclusive Amy Mebberson Time Turner Variant Cover. Retrieved on 2012 November 8.
- ↑ Dana Claire Simpson (2014-06-07). Comment on I did a cover for pony comics by Pedantia. DeviantArt. Retrieved on 2014 June 8.
- ↑ Dana Claire Simpson (2014-06-07). I did a cover for pony comics. DeviantArt. Retrieved on 2014 June 8.
- ↑ Auctiva Image Hosting. Retrieved on 2013 July 28.
- ↑ Enterplay consultants interview. Equestria Daily (2012-06-27). Retrieved on 2012 July 1.
- ↑ Introduction to the My Little Pony Collectible Card Game. Equestria Daily (2013-12-03). Retrieved on 2013 December 3.
- ↑ MLP: CCG Canterlot Nights: It's a Showdown!. Equestria Daily (2014-03-20). Retrieved on 2014 March 21.
- ↑ MLP: Time Turner Companion. Gaia Online. Retrieved on 2013 July 7.
- ↑ Hub Network - Timeline Photos. Facebook (2013-11-23). Retrieved on 2013 November 24.
- ↑ HubTVNetwork: Here's to epic days.... Twitter (2013-11-23). Retrieved on 2013 November 24.
- ↑ Gameloft Pony Game Adds a Bunch of Ponies - Dr. Hooves Timelordified. Equestria Daily (2013-02-08). Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ Hands On With Gameloft's New Pony Game (2012-10-14). Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ Dr. Hooves in Korean dub of Call of the Cutie.. Retrieved on 2014 June 5.