- Main article: Apple family
- See also: Apple Bloom, Big McIntosh, Granny Smith, and Bright Mac and Pear Butter
Carrot Cake and Cup Cake are husband and wife, respectively.
ChildrenBaby Cakes. The main six are shocked to learn that Pound Cake is a Pegasus while Pumpkin Cake is a unicorn, though Mr. Cake explains it away as due to distant familial relations in both his and Mrs. Cake's lineages. They appear again in A Friend in Deed, where Pinkie fails to make them laugh with her routine, until the very end, when she sits on some jacks. Their third appearance comes in Ponyville Confidential, where they throw a tantrum, and are featured for it in one of Gabby Gums' articles. Pumpkin Cake appears briefly without her brother in Magic Duel, and in Magical Mystery Cure, Pound Cake can be seen in Pinkie's flashback. Both twins appear in Pinkie Pride as their names were mentioned during a musical number.
In Baby Cakes, Mr. Cake mentions his great-great-great-great grandfather, a unicorn, and Mrs. Cake's great aunt's second cousin twice removed, a Pegasus.
Princess Celestia and Princess LunaFour of the mentioned members of the royal family are Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Prince Blueblood and Princess Cadance. Multiple episodes state that Luna is Celestia's younger sister; The Ticket Master states that Blueblood is Celestia's nephew, though his trading card lists his family link to Luna and Celestia as being "far removed"; various promotional materials state that Cadance is Celestia's niece, and the chapter book My Little Pony: Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell specifies that Celestia adopted her as a niece.
On My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic book issue #5 page 16, after Luna says that something she had hoped would never come to pass is happening, Pinkie Pie attempts to guess what it is, with one guess being "Realize your mom was right about everything?!"; Luna responds to each guess with "No." The picture book My Little Pony: Under the Sparkling Sea shows a sea lion called King Leo, who rules the underwater city of Aquastria and its seaponies and mermares; the book's dust jacket states that King Leo "sits on the Cosmic Council alongside his cousin, Princess Celestia." One of the illustrated stories in the official My Little Pony magazine in France shows Celestia having a four-year-old cousin called Léon, an Alicorn who shares Blueblood's color scheme and cutie mark and Rainbow Dash's base character model. The magazine story's narrative does not fit into the animated series.
Lauren Faust, the show's creator, stated that Celestia does not have parents that outrank her, that Luna and Celestia have no siblings and no children, and that Blueblood is "the great great great great great great great great great great great (and probably even more greats) nephew on Celestia's and Luna's mother's side, about 52 times removed, roughly speaking."Spice Up Your Life as owners of a Canterlot restaurant called The Tasty Treat. Shining Armor's flashback in the IDW comics' Friendship is Magic Issue #11 story neigh anything..., DJ Pon-3 appears as a filly atop the unicorn stallion 33⅓-LP, who is modeled after her. In response to speculation of 33⅓-LP being a parent of DJ Pon-3's, artist Andy Price has stated "I think more big brother, considering the high school setting" and "considering the high school setting, more of a big brother, I would think," and colorist Heather Breckel has referred to 33⅓-LP as not being DJ Pon-3's father.
In Enterplay's collectible card game, α #12 C, a card of Emerald Green, gives him the description "Emerald is sometimes confused for his winged cousin in Cloudsdale. He doesn't really seem to mind."The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, with the intention of driving the Apple Family out of business. They appear again in Leap of Faith and Viva Las Pegasus. Mr. and Mrs. Shy and brother Zephyr Breeze appear in the season six episode Flutter Brutter. Mr. and Mrs. Shy are shown to be as soft-spoken and timid as their daughter, but Zephyr Breeze is loud, narcissistic, and lazy. He often freeloads off of his parents, who reluctantly allow this behavior, but this is revealed to be out of a crippling fear of failure.
On page 7 of the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Holiday Special comic, Rainbow Dash says to Fluttershy, "You know, I don't think I've ever met your family."
In Shining Armor's flashback in the IDW comics' Friendship is Magic Issue #11 story neigh anything..., Poindexter says "My mom is going to get really mad if I get grass stains on her new turtleneck..."
Moon Dancer has a sister in Amending Fences and also mentions an unnamed father who worked for the Canterlot Historical Society in Princess Twilight Sparkle and the Forgotten Books of Autumn.
In the Defenders of Equestria expansion set of Enterplay's collectible card game, card #8 C mentions Night Glider's mother.
- Main article: Pie family
- See also: Igneous Rock Pie and Cloudy Quartz, Limestone Pie and Marble Pie, and Maud Pie
ParentsTo promote The Cutie Mark Chronicles, The Hub's website gave users three potential stories for how Rainbow Dash got her cutie mark. Rainbow Dash's parents are mentioned in one of the alternate stories as "loving, supportive parents" who tried to help Rainbow Dash find her mark.
Rainbow Dash's father Bow Hothoof and mother Windy Whistles are formally introduced in the season seven episode Parental Glideance. They are portrayed as overenthusiastic and very supportive of their daughter, constantly celebrating her accomplishments no matter how minor. Because of their fanatical and embarrassing way of showing support, Rainbow initially doesn't tell them she's a member of the Wonderbolts.
When asked about whether or not Rainbow Dash has any siblings, Miller responded that "maybe you'll find out someday!"Stare Master. In both Stare Master and in Sisterhooves Social, Rarity gets frustrated with Sweetie Belle's attempts to help her. Sisterhooves Social, but their names are not mentioned in the show. Rarity's mother is visibly a unicorn, while Rarity's father often wears a hat that obscures his horn. They sport Upper Midwest American/Canadian accents and a questionable fashion sense. The mother has the same body design as Mrs. Cake. Rarity's mother strongly resembles the G3 unicorn Garden Wishes. Her looks are also similar to a G1 unicorn named Buttons and a toy named Ribbon Wishes, but has a different eye color than the latter. Rarity's father is enthusiastic enough about Sweetie Belle's burnt cooking that he asks for Rarity's untouched plate. He later makes a background appearance in One Bad Apple, sitting on a jetty and fishing, with burnt food and a glass of burnt drink next to him. Both parents appear in Inspiration Manifestation with the father's horn and the mother's cutie mark both shown for the first time in the series. Rarity's father's cutie mark is a set of three American footballs and he is voiced by Peter New; their mother is voiced by Tabitha St. Germain who also voices Rarity. Lauren Faust, the show's creator, was interviewed by M. A. Larson in a panel in Equestria LA 2015, where she said Rarity's parents were made "on the fly" without prior planning. Rarity's mother's cutie mark is obscured by her pants in Sisterhooves Social, but is shown to be three cookies, two of them whole and one with a bite taken out of it, in Inspiration Manifestation and on page 145 of Little Brown's My Little Pony Friendship is Magic official guidebook My Little Pony: The Elements of Harmony. On the same guidebook page, Rarity's father is shown wearing different clothing, revealing his horn. In the Enterplay collectible card game's expansion set Canterlot Nights, #45 C and #68 C, cards respectively of the father and of the mother, give them the respective names Hondo Flanks and Cookie Crumbles, each with a trademark symbol. Both parents also appear on page 16 of the IDW comics' Friendship is Magic Issue #9. Rarity's parents are available as playable characters in Gameloft's mobile game. The game gives her father the name Magnum and her mother the name Betty Bouffant.
In the chapter book Ponyville Mysteries: Riddle of the Rusty Horseshoe, it is revealed that Scootaloo lives with her Aunt Holiday and Auntie Lofty and that her parents are away "most of the time". They are confirmed to be a lesbian couple by writer Michael Vogel.
On the topic of Scootaloo's family, Faust "did not have specific plans for what her family deal was" and confirmed at Equestria LA 2015 that she does have parents, but the topic of it was never brought up. Faust later clarified over Twitter that, according to her vision for the show, Scootaloo indeed has parents, but they both have demanding jobs and that Scootaloo is good at evading her babysitter.
Snips and Snails
After the Foal Free Press prints a Gabby Gums column about Snips and Snails in Ponyville Confidential, Snips mentions that his and Snails' mothers always told them they'd end up in the papers someday.
Starlight Glimmer's parents, discussed[specify] in separate Twitter conversations with Jim Miller from late May 2016 through early August 2017 and with Josh Haber on October 23, 2017, will be introduced in season eight.
In Over a Barrel, Chief Thunderhooves mentions his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great-grandfather, and great-great-great-grandfather.Rumble are introduced in Hurricane Fluttershy, when both are seen standing together during tornado duty training. During the final event, Thunderlane doesn't show up and Rainbow Dash asks Rumble, "Where's your lazy brother?" Rumble tells Twilight and Rainbow Dash that Thunderlane has fallen sick with the Feather Flu.
Tirek and his brother Scorpan once planned to steal the magic from Equestria. Scorpan betrayed Tirek after learning of friendship and befriending Star Swirl the Bearded, and Tirek was imprisoned in Tartarus for his crimes. Tirek later refers to his brother as "weak minded" and "worthless."
Tirek's centaur father is the king of an unnamed land in My Little Pony: FIENDship is Magic Issue #2. He is suspicious of his son's lust for power, so he restricts the time he spends outside the castle.
Queen Haydon is Tirek's and Scorpan's gargoyle mother. She is the wife of King Vorak.
- Main article: Sparkle family
- See also: Twilight Velvet and Night Light, Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, and Flurry Heart
The Smile Song in A Friend in Deed was to have introduced Twist's mother, who would have been named Shimmy Shake. Writer Amy Keating Rogers "thought that since The Twist is a dance, it would be cute if Twist's mom had a dance name too!" The scene was ultimately cut from the final version.
- ↑ My Little Pony: Under the Sparkling Sea. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2012 November 30.
- ↑ Lauren Faust discussing Princess Celestia's title (2010-12-21). Retrieved on 2012 October 28.
- ↑ Lauren Faust discussing Prince Bluebood's genealogy (2011-03-30). Retrieved on 2012 October 28.
- ↑ fbbr.jpg. Retrieved on 2013 August 20.
- ↑ HubTVNetwork: Discord and the Predaking: .... Twitter (2013-04-11). Retrieved on 2013 April 11.
- ↑ Timeline Photos. Facebook (2013-04-11). Retrieved on 2013 April 11.
- ↑ Andy Price (2013-09-25). AndyPriceArt: @kefkafloyd I think more big .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2013 September 26.
- ↑ Andy Price (2013-09-26). AndyPriceArt: @Xintetsu2012 @katiecandraw .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2013 September 26.
- ↑ Heather Breckel (2013-09-25). angienessyo: @kefkafloyd @andypriceart haha .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2013 September 26.
- ↑ My Little Pony Prerelease Part 2 and Rainbow Dash Theme Deck (2013-12-09). Retrieved on 2013 December 11.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-04-27). @MLPRainbow20 As long as.... Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 27.
- ↑ "The Cutie Cliffhanger... the Quest for the Cutie Mark" (2011-04-06).
- ↑ Video of the Promotion, hosted on Facebook (2011-04-12).
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-03-30). @PinkoMarxPie Maybe you'll find out someday!. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 March 30.
- ↑ Email mentioning Rarity's parents' voice actors. Retrieved on 2012 March 29.
- ↑ "The Elements of Harmony" book (2013-05-28). Retrieved on 2013 May 28.
- ↑ 137038944607.jpg. Retrieved on 2012 June 5.
- ↑ My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic - Universal - HD Gameplay Trailer (2012-11-07). Retrieved on 2012 November 8.
- ↑ Mike Vogel (2017-10-11). When I say "cute couple" I'm saying that Aunt Holiday and Auntie Lofty are a cute couple. Yes. Twitter. Retrieved on 2017 October 12.
- ↑ Lauren Faust (2013-06-08). No.2519820. /arch/. Ponychan. Retrieved on 2016 April 9.
- ↑ ABagOfVicodin (2015-09-06). EQLA Lauren Faust Panel Coverage!. Retrieved on 2015 September 6.
- ↑ Calpain (2016-03-28). Scootaloo Not Really An Orphan?. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2016 March 31.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-05-22). Big Jim on Twitter: "She had parents in the scripted flashbacks in 526 and 601. No idea if they're still alive, though...… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-10-03). Big Jim on Twitter: "Unknown at this point.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2017-08-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "Nope.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2017-08-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "They weren't in the script at all, from what I remember.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2017-08-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "Maybe they were. You're asking about scripts from 2.5 - 3 years ago for me. I might have made a mistake. And I don't have the script...… https://t.co/wIyHSIGfjV". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2017-08-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "...handy to double check. Sorry.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Josh Haber (2017-10-23). Josh Haber on Twitter: "Never. Starlight was a latch-key-kid!… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Josh Haber (2017-10-23). Josh Haber on Twitter: "Never said orphan.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Jared Albert (2018-02-08). the school of friendship is officially open! season eight of my little pony: friendship is magic premieres saturday, march 24 on discovery family. Discovery Press Web. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on 2018-02-07. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- ↑ Smile Song Lyrics by Amy Keating Rogers (2012-07-05). Retrieved on 2012 July 6.