- Return to Equestria
Layout concerning flashbacks
- It's possible to speculate on some parts of the layout of Equestria, and of the main cast's positions during the flashbacks of The Cutie Mark Chronicles, from what's shown during said flashbacks.
- During Pinkie Pie's flashback, she states that her family was "in the south field, preparing to rotate the rocks to the east field". Assuming the fields are named such for their position around their house, the Sonic Rainboom comes from the opposite side - to the north. The rainbow that follows is then drawn from right to left, meaning that following the Rainboom, Rainbow Dash is travelling either west, south, or a combination of the two.
- During Applejack's flashback, the rainbow is drawn in the opposite direction, meaning that Applejack and Pinkie Pie are on opposite sides of the rainbow, placing Pinkie to the east and Applejack, subsequently Manehattan, to the west. Roughly at the end of the rainbow is Ponyville, meaning that the Rainboom occurred somewhere to the north/east of Ponyville. Applejack hears the Rainboom, but doesn't see it, likely due to the orientation of the window she's sitting at.
- During Fluttershy's flashback, she states that she and Rainbow Dash were at a summer flight camp, which is where the start and finish line of the race is. Since part of the race course is visible in the background while she sings So Many Wonders, and in Rainbow's flashback she cuts the finish line in half while drawing the rainbow, the camp can be placed directly on the rainbow line, somewhere above Fluttershy, explaining why she didn't see the rainbow; she was so close to being directly aligned it that she was just at the wrong angle. Also, when the Rainboom happens, the race rings between her and the explosion get blown away; as there's no damage to the finishing line clouds when Rainbow passes them, nor any damage to Cloudsdale, it's safe to assume that neither were close enough to the epicentre of the Rainboom to sustain damage, putting Fluttershy in between the Rainboom and Ponyville and not further away.
- When Rarity arrives at the rock, the sun is directly behind it. Prior to Applejack seeing the rainbow, the sun had just risen; meaning that it was in the east, assuming that Equestria's world rotates in the same direction as Earth. As the Rainboom occurs directly behind the rock, it can be said that Rarity was directly west of the Rainboom, where she should have seen the rainbow. However, her eyes are on the rock and on the rock only, so it's likely she never saw it for the jewels in front of her.
- Lauren Faust has stated that Canterlot is northeast of Ponyville, and in all extreme long shots of it from Ponyville, the mountain it's built onto is on its right, the east. Combining this with the direction of Rainbow's travel following the Rainboom, and the fact that the Rainboom can be seen through the window behind Twilight and not mountain, Canterlot is placed on the east side of the rainbow, bringing the angle of the rainbow further towards north - south rather than east - west.
- Finally, in Rainbow's flashback, directly after the Rainboom, she flies over Cloudsdale. Since she's flying southwards towards Ponyville at the time, this would mean the summer flight camp took place on the edge of Cloudsdale, and Cloudsdale itself is in between the Rainboom site and Ponyville.
- Combining everything: the Rainboom happened close to directly north of Ponyville. Fluttershy was directly in between the Rainboom and Ponyville. Applejack was, and Manehattan is, northwest of Ponyville. Canterlot, as stated, is northeast of Ponyville; the Pie family farm is somewhere in between the two. Rarity's horn dragged her to a point directly west of the Rainboom, again northwest of Ponyville. After her Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow Dash flew southwards in the direction of Ponyville, straight over Cloudsdale, placing Cloudsdale north of Ponyville, somewhere in between Canterlot and Manehattan. The relation between Cloudsdale and Canterlot can also be seen as depictions on the first pictorial page of the book at the beginning of Friendship is Magic, part one.
- Kinrah 20:55, August 29, 2011 (UTC)
- It's possible, that Cloudsdale, as a floating city, doesn't have constant location and floats from place to place instead.
I was wondering on one thing: Given that they ask a dragon to go sleep someplace else, as in outside of Equestria, this means Equestria must have some sort of a border. Some lands belong to it, some don't. (I'm pretty sure the buffalo for one do not accept Celestia, a pony - as royal as she may be - as their ruler.) Is there any information available on such borders. 184.108.40.206 18:54, December 3, 2011 (UTC)
- This is also inferred several times in Dragon Quest. A prime example is where the dragons make fun of the ponies and their princess, suggesting that they live outside of her control. Theevina • talk 18:32, March 22, 2012 (UTC)
- 0. Creation of Equestrian world by Discord.
- 1. Birth of the three pony tribe and unsolved vanishing of Discord, which leed to the end of the automatic control of time, seasons and nature...
- 2. Migration of the three pony tribes.
- 3. Founding of Equestria.
- 4. Discord's return and reign.
- 5. Appearance of the Regal Alicorn Sisters and Discord's defeat.
- 6. King Sombra sealed away, Crystal Empire disappears.
- 7. Luna becomes Nightmare Moon and is banished to the moon.
- 8. Founding of Ponyville.
- 9. The mane six are born.
- 10. Cloudsdale loses bid to host the Equestria Games.
- 11. The very first Sonic Rainboom.
- 12. Sunset Shimmer abandons her Studies of Friendship.
- 13. Summer Sun Celebration (1000 years have passed)
- Nightmare Moon returns but is restored to Luna by the Elements of Harmony.
- 14. Events of Season 1.
- 15. Discord returns but is set back in stone.
- 16. Events of Season 2.
- 17. Changeling invasion initially succeeds but is foiled by Princess Cadance and Shining Armor.
- Princess Cadance and Shining Armor are married.
- Twilight Sparkle's family is now part of the Royal Family.
- Twilight Sparkle is now a niece-in-law (unknown times removed) to Princess Celestia and Luna.
- Princess Cadance is now a sister-in-law to Twilight Sparkle.
- Princess Cadance and Shining Armor depart from Canterlot for their Honeymoon.
- 18. Crystal Empire reappears.
- King Sombra returns but is vanquished.
- Princess Cadance and Shining Armor installed as co-rulers.
- 19. Events of Season 3.
- Crystal Empire wins bid to host the Equestria Games.
- 20. Twilight Sparkle ascends to Alicorn status.
- Twilight Sparkle becomes a Princess.
- 21. Sunset Shimmer's Conspiracy fails.
- 22. Tree of Harmony becomes weakened but is saved.
- Second Summer Sun Celebration. (1001 years have passed)
- 23. Events of Season 4.
- Equestria Games take place in the Crystal Empire.
- 24. Lord Tirek attacks Equestria but is defeated by Twilight Sparkle.
- 25. Starlight Glimmer's Conspiracy fails.
- 26. Events of Season 5.
- 27. Starlight Glimmer creates multiple divergences in the timeline but is convinced to stop.
- 28. Flurry Heart is born.
- 29. Crystal Empire is saved from a winter storm.
- 30. Events of Season 6.
- 31. ???
--Arisaka 08:08, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
Update and Correction made. --Arisaka 03:57, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Here is my theory regarding the "unsolved vanishing of Discord." Discord is the master of chaos and he delights in watching the confusion and distress he inflicts upon ponykind when he messes with the "natural order of the world." However, until a "natural order" has been established, there's nothing to mess with. If the world had always contained cotton candy clouds filled with chocolate milk, then this wouldn't be confusing or distressing to the inhabitants of Equestria, it would just be the way the world worked. My belief is that the pony world is much larger than Equestria (see all the references to other countries/continents/cultures below) and that from the creation of the world, Discord roamed around causing chaos and havoc in one area until (after a few generations) the population became completely comfortable with chaos as being "natural" at which point Discord would lose interest and move on to somewhere else. He may have ruled Equestria at numerous times during prehistory (getting bored and moving on eventually each time) and may be mentioned in ancient texts from around the world.
- However, I do have a fundamental problem with the idea that Discord (solely) created the world. Chaos is, by definition, not a creative force but a purely destructive one. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that Discord created the entire world just to have something to mess with later, I think it's more likely that he either came upon the world sometime after its creation, or that he contributed (chaos) to the creation of the world but was not solely responsible for it.
- The Steed In The Moon (talk) 23:01, January 6, 2014 (UTC)
- The land that is now Equestria was not always inhabited by ponies. And because ponies are be the only ones who have displayed weather-manipulation and nature-controling powers, it can be inferred that before the ponies came, the land the is now Equestria was one massive Everfree Forest, like our own world. It appears that pony control over nature is so common place, that many ponies see it as 'natural'. It can be asumed that if the ponies were to leave for a sutable ammount of time, the weather, plants, and animals would return to their natural cycles.
Other Cultures and Countries
- 1. Fluttershy mentions that her gala dress is not true French haute couture.
- 2. Apple Bloom speaks in french upon getting a Fleur de lis cutie mark.
- 3. Rarity tours an art gallery in a French Beatnik attire.
- 4. Gustave LeGrand is a griffon who speaks with a French accent.
- 1. Pinkie Pie accuses Mulia Mild of secretly being a ninja and destroying the MMMM cake with a katana/ninjato.
- 2. Fluttershy secretly enjoys reading manga (Scare Master).
- 1. Photo Finish speaks with a German accent.
- 1. The full name of Princess Cadance is Mi Amore Cadenza (My Love Cadance).
- 2. The Royal Guard uniforms are partly based on the Roman Legion.
- 1. The Royal Guard uniforms are mostly based on the Greek Hoplite.
- 2. Almost any and all things in relation to the Pegasi are based on Classical Greece.
- 3. Tartarus, the Greek Underworld, exists in Equestria. As does Cerberus, the mythological hound that guards its entrance.
- 4. Orthrus, the brother of Cerberus, exists as a species of canine.
- 5. A vase with classical greek-style painting is used to explain the Crystalling Ceremony.
- 1. The shopkeeper that sells the Alicorn Amulet to Trixie wears a Manchu Hat and has a braided pigtail.
- 1. Daring Do writes about her battles against Ahuizotl which take place in the Tenochtitlan Basin.
- 2. One of Pinkie Pie's comments is "Are you loco in the coco?"
- 1. Aloe and Lotus speak with Eastern European accents.
- 2. Ponyville's Dance School is run by a Ballet Instructor with a Russian accent.
- 1. Coriander Cumin and Saffron Masala's designs are based on the Indian people.
--Arisaka 00:41, April 13, 2012 (UTC)
Africa (Afreinca?, Zanzebrar?, Neighgeria?, Fillymanjaro?)
- 1. The land of zebras where Zecora originates from.
- 2. "Treasures of the native land where I am from." (Zecora in Bridle Gossip referring to tribal masks from Subsaharan and Western Africa)
- I also believe Trottingham to not be an Equestrian location but comes from the Pony equivilent of Britain. Nottingham being located in england and also explains Pipsqueaks accent.-- 21:47, December 22, 2012 (UTC)
- Camelot is (mythologically) in Britain as well. I don't think Equestria is intended to be "America with horse puns". I think it's more generic than that. Similarly, Pipsqueak's accent could easily be the accent of a part of Equestria. --220.127.116.11 23:10, February 2, 2013 (UTC)
It might be smart to speculate towards exactly when FiM takes place. I personally like to go with the assumption that it happens about 4285, long after the collapse of humanity, and that Celestia/Luna's rule began somewhere in the 3050s. That's just me though; any other ideas? 18.104.22.168 03:00, April 8, 2013 (UTC)
Word of Faust says itis an alternate NON-HUMAN universe where ponies and some hooved creatures grew intellgent and magic exists simply because it does and is natural through out the universe.
- Perhaps, but if I might ask, how come it is referred to as 'Earth'? I feel like it is somehow intended to be a magical pony version of our world. Oakydoke (talk) 02:44, June 29, 2013 (UTC)
- I think that it's referred to as Earth (and the layout of Equestria suspiciously mirrors that of North America) because the pony world is Earth in an alternate dimension where different laws of physics apply (which makes the portal seen in Equestria Girls a dimensional portal to another "Earth" which is more similar to our own, though not necessarily the same). The Steed In The Moon (talk) 23:08, January 6, 2014 (UTC)
- Here's my hypothetical timeline, I used game theory's Video games predict your future timeline as a base and proceeded from there, this also makes a few other assumptions via connection of concidental traits between 2 certain villains.
- GigaMettalix (talk) 07:24, September 14, 2013 (UTC)GigaMettalix
2135 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 105: Mankind has been colonizing space for 105 years now and have established alliances with nearly 20 alien races, meanwhile, on Earth, now known as Terra by those living in the stars, becomes engulfed in a massive nuclear war, those in space deem it condemned and leave Earth do die in its own fall-out. However, one human survives, but just barely. His body is mutated with all kinds of animals and his mind is mutated to the point of incredible power, allowing him to use a sort of magic, but in the process, he becomes greedy and chaotic, this being will come to be known as Discord.
2576 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 516: The radiation finally fades away, leaving most animals much more intelligent, namely horses. Said horses have been given human intelligence, however, most don’t have the same strength as before, and none have the same size, minus the two alicorns in existence, a mix of the new Pegasus and unicorn forms of pony. One place is left normal for the most part, that place is the Everfree forest. Discord eventually returns but the alicorns, Celestia and Luna, find an ancient alien artifact that had been around before humans, and title them the elements of harmony, due to the fact that they can only work, in, well, harmony. They use this to turn Discord to stone and bring harmony to the land known as Equestria.
2581 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 521: A mixture of the new ponies and insects emerges known as the changlings, with Chrysalis as their queen, and Sombra as their king (hence the lack of form.) The alicorn sisters seal away the Crystal Empire that had been conquered and the rest of the changelings go into hiding.
2597 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 537: Luna, resentful of the fact that ponies played and worked in the day and slept through the night, rebels against her sister and is sent to the moon as punishment.
3574 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 1544: Events 8-12 on the timeline occur.
3597 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 1567: Events 14-17 occur.
3598 A.D.: Stardate: The Year 1568: Events 18-21 occur.
3599+ A.D.: Stardate: The Year 1569+: ???
It seems that the borders and what exactly defines Equestria is ever-changing. It seems that Equestria is both the country and continent on which it sits, much like America can be referred to as both the United States and the North American continent. It seems more and more to be this way since the Crystal Empire is largely considered to be within Equestria, though it is a monarchy separate from Equestria as ruled by Celestia and Luna and it was mentioned to have a Queen. Cadance has also been referred to as the Crystal Princess. Other areas like Saddle Arabia could fall under the same jurisdiction.
- Not necessarily. The Crystal Empire could be a protectorate or vassal state of Equestria. It could just be that the Crystal Empire and Equestria have such close diplomatic relations, they're piratically the same country. As for Saddle Arabia, it seams unlikely that it's located in the Americas (if that's what you're trying to say) since our Earth's Arabia and Saudi Arabia are located in Eurasia. Emmette Hernandez Coleman (talk) 01:09, May 14, 2014 (UTC)
Is Equestria the British Empire?
First of all, I'm going to assume that MLP:FIM takes place in an alternate universe's version version Earth, and not on an alien planet or something. There's been some speculation that Equestria is America based on the city names and the map, but what if the map is just of the largest most populous part of Equestria. What if Equestria isn't just America, but is the whole British Empire. This does seem slightly more likely than Equestria being just America, sense Equestria is a monarchy and a very old country and America isn't, and the map shows the Canadian city of Vancouver as part of Equestria
Let's start with History. On our earth the Celtic peoples once lived all across Europe, but eventually their territory was reduced to little more then just the British Isles. The Proto-Equestrian ponies of Hearth's Warming Eve could be MLP Earth's version of the Celtic peoples back when they were living in (mainland) Europe, and the land the Proto-Equestrians found and named Equestria could be the British Isles. Perhaps form there, Equestria eventually colonized the Americas, but the colonization presumably went allot slower then on our Earth. On MLP Earth there are still frontier towns today, yet Celestia's old castle from 1000 years age is in the Everfree. The reason the colonization was slower might be that instead of "taming" the indigenous peoples, the Equestrians had to tame the Everfree Forest; perhaps the Everfree once covered most of the Americas (on that note, perhaps what's left of the Everfree is a nature preserve).
On to people. Notice I've been saying Celtic peoples, plural not singular. Much at there are multiple races of ponies, there are multiple peoples that make up the British/Celtic peoples. The three most prominent are the English, Scottish, and Irish. Perhaps MLP Earth's three pony races are the MLP Earth equivalent of our Earth's English, Scottish, and Irish.
Lastly a disclaimer: I know that I'm speculating pretty wildly in the second and third paragraphs. This post, especially those two paragraphs, was meant more to pant a picture of one possible Equestria then to seriously argue that that that picture I've panted is the "real" Equestria. Emmette Hernandez Coleman (talk) 05:22, May 14, 2014 (UTC)