- Return to Gems
Explanation for abundance of already-cut gems
- One possible theory behind the gems' common existence as they appear in the television series is that some ancient race, pony or otherwise, may have been burying these gems for some kind of reason. This is very similar to the existence of Energon deposits on planet Earth in the Transformers universe. In one canon continuity, it is explained that ancient Cybertronians waged many battles on Earth during prehistory, and hid their Energon spoils all over the planet. -Preceding unsigned comment added by unknown
- My guess just conveniance. Simular to Zelda games where rupees can be found both over and underground at various places and enemies, in yet they are always hexagonal cut no matter where they are. I noticed the Sapphires in Sisterhooves Social appear slightly oddly shaped which I think is suppose to be like they were untamed gems.--Mystic Monkey is a proud MonoBook Wikian. 23:11, February 26, 2012 (UTC)
- This would fit in well with the Crystal Ponies of Season 3. Dogman15 (talk) 02:50, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Personally, I think that gems seem to be so common and easy to find because (unlike in the real world) they are a renewable resource. Specifically, I follow the common theory that gems in Equestria are actually a kind of crystalized magic that grows as quickly as a fungus. Think about it: dragons EAT gemstones, and if there were a limited amount of gems in the world, they probably would have run out a long time ago, not to mention that the Cakes were able obtain several sapphires and make a cupcake out of them with seemingly little to no financial difficulty. Dinodude0091 00:13, March 4, 2012 (UTC)
Spike mentions in one episode that he grew a gem, specifically the fire ruby.
- I think in Fallout:Equestria there was a brilliant theory that the rock farm PP grew on was actually for harvesting gems grown inside the boulders.
I believe a possible reason behind the pre-cut gems is due to the fact (or at least due to certain observations) that everything considered "normal" in Equestria either requires Pony's to do it themselves or is already done for convenience. For example: It doesn't rain or storm or anything else weather related unless a Pegasus decides they want it to or are told to change it; this is very convenient becuause tornadoes, snow storms, and the like would be bothersome. Another example would include how the apple trees of Equestria seem to have apples on them every day of the year. We've already seen Applejack completely "buck" all the trees on her land before, and yet most episodes with her feature them full of apples. Reason: It is more convenient (and profitable) to have food available at almost any given moment. If this doesn't make sense, just look at the Everfree forest; it is considered abnormal simply because the weather, animals, and nature do their own thing like it does on Earth; how rather inconvenient for the little ponies. So, my thought is that the reason behind the precut gems is because the ponies live in a world where (almost) everything is made for their convenience; however, I did like the idea about Energon deposits someone mentioned earlier...Transformers/Pony crossover...mmmmm.... Spartan J73 (talk) 01:48, February 10, 2013 (UTC)