- Return to Rainbow Dash
Rainbow doesn't inhale...Edit
Pegasi have a mixture of mammalian and avian anatomy. To understand just how unusual that combination is, it is important to note that birds, unlike mammals, have unidirectional respiratory systems. That means, in layman's terms, that they breath in through their mouth and/or nose, then blow the air through their lungs, and out through a series of pores. Birds do not exhale (breathe out) the way we do. This is far more efficient, since it does not mix used air with fresh air. In some cases, the hollow bones in the wings act as vessels to distribute the air to miniature lungs throughout the wings. I considered the possibility that Rainbow's lungs work this way.
The obvious problem is that Rainbow definitely exhales. She speaks, shouts, and sings. It occurred to me that if a creature's wing profile, providing thrust, is smaller than the rest of it's head-on profile, creating drag, then it would be more efficient for the respiratory system to work backwards relative to a bird's. This allows for complex vocal systems, needed for speech, and by branching together with airflow, this system leaves few opportunities for debris to get caught in the lungs and need to be coughed out.
So the next obvious question is "Does Rainbow Dash inhale?" The answer: not very often. When laughing hysterically, she sometimes inhales. Fret not - I'll get to that. More often, however, Rainbow will say a great deal in one breath, or shout at the top of her lungs without needing to inhale audibly before or after doing so. Don't believe me? Watch the opening scene of Sonic Rainboom again! Contrast this to Pinkie Pie, or even a fellow pegasus, Fluttershy. If the cakes can have a pegasus, then clearly pegasi are the same species as unicorns and horses, so it is not unreasonable for different pegasi to have different respiratory systems.
But there's a problem with this way around too. I was thinking about this when suddenly I remembered one way in which Rainbow proved herself superior to G1 pegasi. In MLP generation one, pegasi were portrayed as agile flyers, but unable to fly if their wings get wet. Long before I began speculating about Rainbow's respiratory system, I noticed that she can fly just fine with wet wings. This is more surprising if you consider that the pores through which birds exhale are typically located on the wings, and it would likely be the same when the system works backwards. Yet rainbow can get her wings wet without drowning.
My first answer to that issue was to assume she does not breathe in through her wings. I somehow concluded that she must breathe in through her ears. Ears are nice and funnel shaped; perfect air-intakes. Perhaps she hears with something else. But then I re-watched Friendship is Magic, part 1, the scene where she is first introduced. Both her wings and ears (and ironically nothing else) were dripping with mud. Obviously, she does not need either of those areas to be dry in order to breathe.
My current assumption is that she can voluntarily seal off her aveolar pores. When her wings are dry, and she is not laughing, she breathes the efficient way - in through the wings and out through the mouth and nose. I've decided she has two lungs (in her chest cavity, not her wings) in parallel circuit, capable of working independently of one another. This allows her to speak for as long as she wants, all in one breath. If her wings get wet, or muddy, or she burst out in laughter she seals her wing-pores. This just so happens to make the exact same noise as her voice actress Ashleigh Ball snorting before intense laughter. It seems quite reasonable to me that closing your aveolar pores would make the same sound as a human snorting. Once the pores are shut, she breathes the way humans or all the other ponies do. This is why she inhales when laughing, but not during normal speech or song. I have no idea how snoring works, but I'll be sure to share if I come up with anything.
Super Rainbow DashEdit
Sonic the Hedgehog can turn into Super Sonic. The Saiyans in Dragon Ball Z can turn into Super Saiyans . In both cases, they become exponentially more powerful. They turn harder, better, faster, stronger, and all-round more epic. What about the fastest flyer ever to come out of Cloudsdale? Fanon has developed a lot of material devoted to the notion of Super Rainbow Dash . To summarize some of the stats on Super RD, see the description of this video . The max speed of 700-800 MPH is obviously an underestimate; the speed of sound is in the 900's, and Rainbow Dash goes at Mach 10 without ascending into Super Rainbow Dash. At one point the video seems to suggest Mach 5, but be patient, it clarifies later on - it's Mach 10. I would estimate that Super Rainbow Dash goes Mach 12 - just to be 20% cooler.
Just to give some notion of how super-ultra-extreme-awesomazing that is:
- Mach 1 is defined as the speed of sound.
- Mach 3.5 is 3.5 times the speed of sound. The fastest small arms munition is the .50 calibre BMG, which goes at this speed. Smaller calibres go slower because the extra speed would be wasted on air-resistance. Larger rounds deliver energy to the target more efficiently by having explosive warheads, and thus travel slower, all the way up to heavy artillery. Rainbow Dash is faster than a speeding bullet, she was just being humble in May the Best Pet Win when she said "it must be fast like a bullet to keep up with me". Perhaps she intended to settle on a more realistic pet, merely travelling at Mach 3.5, and she'd slow down and wait up for it.
- Mach 3.8 is, of course, 3.8 times the speed of sound. SR-71's go this fast.
- Mach 3.9: An experimental prototype aircraft, which looks and works pretty much like an SR-71, travels in atmosphere at this speed. It is the fastest air-breathing vehicle mankind has ever made.
- Mach 5: Rainbow Dash, without performing Sonic Rainboom.
- Mach 6: Super Rainbow Dash, same conditions.
- Mach 8: Escape velocity. Objects go into orbit at this speed. Space shuttles come back from orbit at this speed. When a stationary 100 micon (1 hair's bredth) paint fleck is in it's way, the fleck creates a 4 foot deep crater in the shuttle's bullet-proof glass windshield.
- Mach 10: Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom. Millimetre-diametre dust particles cause her to blink. As do tears of joy about having saved the Wonderbolt's lives. The incredible kinetic energy of a frequent collisions are no match for Rainbow's 10 metre RHA feathers (RHA means the thickness of steel that would be an equivalent amount of armour), and 5 metre RHA corneas (the thin, clear protective layer over one's pupil. Incredibly strong corneas are necessary on Equestria, since pupils constitute a substantial portion of one's head-on profile).
- Mach 12: Super Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom. She flies upside-down to more easily provide the negative lift needed to keep her from flying out of atmosphere, and out of orbit, into interplanetary space. She no longer needs to blink the incandescent plasma out of her eyes, but squints anyway just to be more tomboyish.
Ordinarily, Rainbow Dash can be tossed aside by dragons in s01e07, or break her right alar humorous in s02e16, (I have this book which uses the term "alar" to disambiguate "belonging to the wing" for anatomy in 6-limbed mythical beasts like dragons, griffons, fairies, and pegusi. I cannot seem to find any other references to this). If, however, she is given all six elements of harmony so as to transform into Super Rainbow Dash, she becomes indellible to everything short of a direct hit from 10 Tsar Bombas. 500 megatons would actually cause noticeable damage, but would also make her angry.
It is also possible that Super Rainbow Dash, rather than being 20% cooler, would be 50x more powerfull, like super saiyans. Hence Mach 250 w/out rainboom, top speed: Mach 500.
- It's quite clear that, at the very least, Rainbow Dash is younger than Fluttershy. But could she be the youngest of the main six? I think it's very possible that she's the youngest, or second youngest (next to Pinkie Pie). -- This is Jonny Manz, signing off! 06:36, February 14, 2012 (UTC)
It's very hard to tell because this show seems to put no actual basis on chronological age. I think the only time they have mentioned age is when Fluttershy tells Pinkie Pie that she is a year older than her. But still, just for sh-ts and giggles, if I had to put them youngest to oldest I would order them like this:
1. Pinkie Pie Acts the youngest and is confirmed in one episode to be a year younger than Fluttershy, and still rents a room while the rest of the cast all own homes and/or businesses.
2. Twilight Sparkle Confirmed to have been in school when she left Canterlot. Admittedly, this might have been like University, but her social awkwardness tends to make her seem young.
3. Rainbow Dash She seems young mainly due to her brashness and her childlike idol worship of the Wonderbolts, but still seems older than Twilight Sparkle. She also tends to act very childish, playing pranks and goofing around.
4. Fluttershy It is confirmed that she is older than Pinkie Pie, who is likely very close in age to Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. She is also shown in one episode working as a veterinarian, treating a mouse's broken leg. Being adept at setting broken legs would take training and practice, all of which would come with time.
5. Applejack She's easily the most adult of the Mane 6, as she is raising her little sister who's parents were killed by Jack Napier or something, and basically runs the entire farm. Although technically this could have been an act of necessity where her parents passed away and she had to step up and take charge of everything, which could have happened to her at any age, it still makes her seem older.
6. Rarity She doesn't act as adult as Applejack, but while the rest of the Mane 6's worries range from impressing their mentors to joining the Wonderbolts, Rarity's worries are all career-based which is much more adult than the rest. Also, in her flashback in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Cherilee is shown to be in the pageant she designed the costumes for. This either means they were in the same class, or that Rarity was in an older class as she was not acting in it, but rather designing the costumes.
I'm willing to admit, though, that this^^^ is all speculation on my part and the character's individual behaviors and personalities really do have nothing to do with their chronological age. Danieltepeskraus 18:59, July 7, 2012 (UTC)
Rainbow Dash is an enigma. she is at least 20% more awesome then any pegasi alive, in fact she is so awesome that we can rightly put in question, whether not is truly is just a pegasus, or something more. She is young, the youngest of the mane six, and I believe that she is in fact an alicorn in the nymph stage, that have not yet grown a horn.
Fact 1: No mortal) ponies in the show have a colour scheme of her level of radiance.
Fact 2: She has a very close physical resemblance to Celestia, especially her colours.
Fact 3: She is the only Pegasus that have ever completed a sonic Rainboom something that as it is considered beyond mortal capabilities. Fact 4: In roman mythology Hyperion have three children: "Luna", goddess of the moon "Sol", god of the sun and "Aurora", goddess of the dawn and the sky.
Fact 5: Rainbow Dash's colour scheme and abilities (sonic rainboom) fits perfectly with that of the mythological goddess Aurora)
Fact 6: While genetics can be used to explain the differences and possibility for getting an earth pony a pegasus or a unicorn, Alicorns or winged unicorns can't. There have been no explanation as to how alicorns are made.
- That's quite an interesting theory. I think being a god would go to her head a little too much, though...
1)http://www.fimfiction.net/story/19341/Alicorn is a story about Rainbow Dash and her relation to her mother Celestia after her she grows her horn, which is a followup on the story "Mommy Nearest"
I'm writing a story right now based on that same grown story, and a bunch of other really cool stories about the other mane six that all takes place in the same time.
After that I have planned to write an alternative history story, where Rainbow Dash was born with her horn instead of only resently having grown it.
This meant that she grow up in Cantalot along with her sister Candace and her mothers favourite pupil Twilight. Candace used to foalsit them together even though Rainbow was two years younger. Then when Twilight is asked to go to Ponyville to oversee the summer sun Celebration she is forced to take Celestia's youngest daugther with her.
And you see, even though Rainbow have a larger manapool (raw power) then Twilight she is less focused and never spent the time and effort studying like Twilight did. this means that Twilight can cast much more powerful spells like "teleporation", which Rainbow have never bothered to learn because "studying is boring" and "I can just fly there" As such princess Rainbow have never developed her magic beyond cloud and wind manipulation and basic levitation that all unicorns master.
How will Ponyville reach to the hair apparent of the noble house of Twilight, personal student of Celestia and the god empress unruly child, princess of the sky Rainbow Dash?-rphb- (talk) 15:03, August 13, 2012 (UTC)