|Eyes|| Moderate cornflower blue (series)|
Moderate orange (comics)
|Mane||Dark grayish tangelo|
|Coat||Light amberish gray|
|Relatives||Mother (IDW comics' Friendship is Magic Issue #11 story neigh anything...)|
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||Lee Tockar (English)|
Shinobu Matsumoto (Japanese)
Gizmo, Poindexter, or Gyro is a male Earth pony who appears in the episodes Putting Your Hoof Down, Just for Sidekicks, and Trade Ya! and in the IDW comics. He is unnamed in the show, but he is named "Gizmo" with a trademark symbol and "Gyro" in different versions of merchandise and named "Poindexter" in the comics.
Design and development
Gizmo has an off-white coat, dark brown mane and tail, blue eyes, and a cutie mark of a robot. He shares his body model with "Burdock Hooffield", "Street Rat", and S06E13 Unnamed Pegasus Mare #4 and somewhat resembles Tadwell.IDW comics artist Andy Price has stated regarding this pony "I figure his name is Gizmo Poindexter... not sure if that could be more nerdy... unless maybe if his middle name was Myron."
Depiction in the seriesIn Putting Your Hoof Down, he makes a speaking appearance at the Ponyville marketplace. After he purchases the last bushel of asparagus from the stall, Rarity approaches him and sweet-talks him into selling the bushel to her for Fluttershy, who was unable to purchase one of her own. In Just for Sidekicks, he makes a non-speaking appearance, selling tonics to Zecora. In Trade Ya!, he makes more non-speaking cameo appearances at the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange.
Other depictionsMy Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #11 stories. In the issue's main story Neigh Anything, he is shown to be one of Shining Armor's friends during their time at Canterlot Academy, along with 8-bit and Gaffer. He is referred to as "Poindexter" in the story, and appears with brown eyes instead of blue. He and his friends help Shining Armor win the heart of Princess Cadance by putting on an elaborate musical display at the Fall Formal parade and dressing up like a mare to distract Buck Withers during the championship polo game.
Poindexter appears again in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12's story Neigh Anything Part 2: Presentable in Periwinkle. He once again dresses up as a mare and poses as Shining Armor's "date" to the Fall Formal Gala.
Poindexter also appears on My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #10 page 11, being scared away from Sugarcube Corner by Iron Will. In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #41, he appears with Shining Armor, 8-bit, and Gaffer on pages 12 and 17.
|This section should be expanded or updated. You can assist by editing it.|
MerchandiseHe appears on the Season 2 poster, looking at Iron Will's brochure. In Enterplay's collectible card game, a Gen Con Indy 2013 demo card of him lists his name as "Gizmo" with a trademark symbol, cards α #56 R and α #ƒ22 of him list his name as "Gyro", and all three cards of him list his quote "Why doesn't anypony else ever use the word 'blatherskite' in conversation?", alluding to the Duck universe's Gizmosuit and Gyro Gearloose, respectively.
- Putting Your Hoof Down
- Rarity: Hold it right there, mister small and handsome!
- Gizmo: Uh, who, me?
- Rarity: Oh, of course, you. Nopony ever called you handsome before?
- Gizmo: Uhh...that'd be a big no.
- Friendship is Magic Issue #11 page 5
- Poindexter: Oh... I rolled a 9... That's not good. Gaffer, what's the word? Is my elf-Pegasus still alive?
- Gaffer: Eh, you won't like this. You've taken a blasting spell to the flank. Your character won't be able to sit for a month.
- Poindexter: He can't sit, he can't fly, he can't use spells. You're out to get me.
- Gaffer: The game is out to get you. Not me.
- Friendship is Magic Issue #11 page 17
- Poindexter: My mom is going to get really mad if I get grass stains on her new turtleneck...
- 8-bit: Suck it up, Poindexter.
- "My beauty is chaotic..."
- — Friendship is Magic Issue #11 page 18
- "Thanks for the sour persimmons, buster."
- — Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 11
- Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 14
- Shining Armor: Don't worry, you look like a pretty princess.
- Poindexter: Well, I do fell[sic] pretty.
- Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 18
- Princess Cadance: You look very nice, Poindexter.
- Poindexter: Nopony has told me why I'm in a dress yet.
- Shining Armor: Because you never gave Gaffer back his replica bat'leth sword after Nightmare Night last year and that stallion holds a grudge. Consider yourself punished.
- Poindexter: ...I still feel pretty. He can't take that from me.
- Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 21
- Poindexter: Can I take the dress off now?
- Gaffer: Do you have my bat'leth with you?
- Poindexter: No.
- Gaffer: Then no.
- Friends Forever Issue #10 page 11
- Iron Will: Whadda you want?
- Poindexter: Nothing!
- "Why doesn't anypony else ever use the word 'blatherskite' in conversation?"
- — Enterplay collectible card game Gen Con Indy 2013 demo card of Gizmo and cards α #56 R and α #ƒ22 of Gyro
- ↑ Andy Price. Comment on I Feel Pretty by ~masemj. DeviantArt. Retrieved on 2013 November 10.
- ↑ rdmt.jpg. Retrieved on 2013 September 26.