|Occupation||Mayor of Ponyville|
Student at Canterlot Academy (formerly)
|Eyes|| Moderate phthalo blue|
Moderate violet (Acidfree art print)
|Mane|| Light cornflower bluish gray with a lighter streak (dyed)|
Brilliant fuchsia in Ponyville Confidential (actual)
|Coat||Pale, light grayish amber|
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||Cathy Weseluck (English)|
Maria Lindes (Dutch)
Liane Rudolph (German)
Graziella Porta (Italian)
Mami Horikoshi (Japanese)
Bang Yeon-ji (Korean)
Ewa Serwa (Polish, seasons 1-3)
Anna Sztejner (Polish, S4E14 and later)
Anda Tamasanu (Romanian, season 1)
Corina Cernea (Romanian, season 2)
Ariadna Jiménez (European Spanish)
Alma Delia Pérez (Latin American Spanish)
Priscila Concepcion (Brazilian Portuguese, season 2 - current)
Development and name
In G3.5, the mayor of Ponyville was Flitter Flutter.The name "Mayor Mare" is given in The Elements of Harmony guidebook, on cards, and in the My Little Pony mobile game, and is used in the IDW comics' Friendship is Magic Issue #4, the chapter books Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell and Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Double Dare, and the bonus feature "Hearth's Warming Eve" A Live Stage Reading on the DVD My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Season Two Disc 2. On the show, she is simply addressed as "Mayor" in most episodes, as "Miss Mayor" by Applejack in Applebuck Season and by Twilight Sparkle in The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, and as "Madame Mayor" by Princess Luna in Luna Eclipsed. She is listed in the show's credits as "Mayor" in Magic Duel, Simple Ways, Filli Vanilli, Inspiration Manifestation, Bloom & Gloom and Slice of Life. She is called "Ms. Mayor Mare" and "Mayor Mare" in the chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. Rarity is the first to refer to her onscreen as Mayor Mare in The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows when looking at a picture of her in the Foal Free Press.
Depiction in the series
Season oneMayor Mare first appears in the first episode, giving a brief speech introducing Princess Celestia at the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville; Nightmare Moon then appears in place of the princess, and when the story continues in the following episode, the Mayor commands Princess Celestia's Pegasus guards to seize Nightmare Moon, but the guards are unsuccessful.
Mayor Mare gives a speech in honor of Applejack in Applebuck Season, and she addresses the ponies of Ponyville for Winter Wrap Up at the beginning of Winter Wrap Up. She becomes stressed when things do not go according to schedule later in the episode, but Twilight Sparkle steps in to help organize the ponies' activities.
Season twoIn Lesson Zero, Mayor Mare is one of the ponies who come under the effects of Twilight Sparkle's spell on Smarty Pants, and she snatches the doll from Big McIntosh, causing all the ponies to chase her. When Princess Celestia removes the spell from everyone, she ends up fighting with Derpy and, after being embarrassed by her previous actions, walks away from the scene altogether.
In Luna Eclipsed, the Mayor signals the beginning of the Nightmare Night festivities, donning a clown costume and rainbow wig. In the spirit of the holiday night, she tries to sound scary, something Spike comments on disparagingly several times throughout the episode, claiming that the rainbow wig just ruins it for him. Like the other ponies, she is initially terrified at the reappearance of Princess Luna, for the latter had been previously known as "Nightmare Moon" prior to her redemption. However, after Twilight Sparkle helps Luna to let her fun side out and prove to the ponies that she's no longer one to fear, the Mayor and everyone else in Ponyville embrace the Princess.
In The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Mayor Mare announces "Ponyville's new hero" at the parade and is also the one who gives her the title of "Mare Do Well".
In the beginning of The Last Roundup, the Mayor sets up a stage for Applejack announcing her departure for the Equestrian Rodeo Competition in Canterlot, as well as emphasizing Applejack's generosity in giving away her supposed prize money to invest in repairs for Town Hall. Before Applejack boards the train, the Mayor repeatedly reminds her to return with the prize money.Ponyville Confidential, Mayor Mare's mane is revealed to be pink rather than gray in the gossip column of the Ponyville Schoolhouse newspaper, the Foal Free Press. Pinkie Pie points to an article titled "Mayor Not Naturally Gray" and adds, "The Mayor in a mane dyeing scandal", showing the picture in the paper of the Mayor with only the fringe of her mane gray while the rest is pink. Later in the episode, the Mayor sheepishly picks up another edition of the paper from her doorstep while skeptically eyeing it, once again with partially gray and partially pink hair.
In Magic Duel, the Mayor is seen in a cage in front of the town hall during Trixie and Twilight's second duel. She also makes a brief appearance at the beginning of Magical Mystery Cure, walking through Ponyville during Morning in Ponyville.
Season fourIn Simple Ways, Mayor Mare announces Rarity as the Pony of Ceremonies for the Ponyville Days festival. She is seen attending the Equestria Games in the episode of the same name, seated in the same section as the princesses, where she shares a row with Fancy Pants, Fleur Dis Lee, Cherry Jubilee, and the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia.
In Filli Vanilli, she asks the Pony Tones to sing during her ribbon-cutting ceremony, which they accept under Fluttershy's request. In Inspiration Manifestation, the Mayor asks for Twilight Sparkle's assistance to save two ponies from Town Hall that Rarity encased in crystal. She makes a cameo in Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2 along with various other ponies witnessing the newly formed Castle of Friendship.
In Bloom & Gloom, Mayor Mare appears in Apple Bloom's dream telling her that she has to leave town. In Slice of Life, Mayor Mare presides over the wedding between Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda. She also appears in Ponyville's shared dream in Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?In The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, Pinkie Pie helps Mayor Mare sort files at town hall. The mayor briefly gossips with Pinkie about keeping others' secrets, despite Pinkie's own will against revealing the news about Shining Armor and Princess Cadance's baby, and it is later revealed that the mayor had known about this secret all along. Mayor Mare is also mentioned in the Foal Free Press as Rarity comments on the dress she made for her. She appears in the crowd during Friends Are Always There For You in The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2.
In On Your Marks, Mayor Mare briefly appears signing several bills at Ponyville town hall.
Cathy Weseluck, the voice of Mayor Mare, recalls that the character is only mentioned as "Mayor" in the show's scripts. The character is listed as "Mayor" in the credits of the episode Magic Duel and in an unused portion of the episode's script revealed by writer M.A. Larson.
In the bonus feature "Hearth's Warming Eve" A Live Stage Reading on the DVD My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Season Two Disc 2, Cathy Weseluck is listed with the voice credits "Spike / Mayor Mare". On the DVD Season Four Disc 2, the closed captions for the episode Simple Ways refer to the Mayor as "Mayor Mare".
On Friendship is Magic Issue #4 page 20, Spike says "Mayor Mare gave me a medal!". On Issue #7 page 1, the mayor appears near Davenport, Wild Fire, and MandoPony. She later appears during the battle against the Nightmare forces on Issue #8 pages 10 and 14.
During a flashback in Issue #12, a young Mare appears as a Canterlot Academy student; her recent aptitude test results stated she should be a politician. On Issue #23 page 11, Mayor Mare appears under the hypnotic control of Cassie the kelpie. In the Issue #30-31 story arc Ponyville Days, the mayor gets caught in the middle when two Ponyville factions argue over who founded the town. In Issue #32, Mayor Mare is forced to surrender control of Ponyville to an army of evil sentient apples.
In Friends Forever Issue #9, Mayor Mare appears as an attendant of Apple Con 45. In Issue #15, she helps Applejack settle a citation issue and takes her on a tour of city hall and recalls how she first became the mayor. In Issue #16, she oversees the Ponyville junior scavenger hunt. On Issue #17 page 4, she cuts the ribbon at a new building opening.
The mayor makes a brief appearance in chapter 2 of Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell, "A Foal House". She is called "Mayor Mare" in the story's narration, and is referred to as "Ms. Mayor Mare" by a guard pony named Senior Mint. In chapter 8 of Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Double Dare, "Well Suited", Mayor Mare is mentioned in the story's narration. In chapter 10 of Rarity and the Curious Case of Charity, "Dyeing to Please", she is called "Mayor Mare" both in the story's narration and on crates being delivered to her. In chapter 1 of Applejack and the Honest-to-Goodness Switcheroo, "The Pie-Eatin' Extravaganza", she is called "Mayor Mare" in the story's narration. In chapter 12 of Fluttershy and the Fine Furry Friends Fair, "Singing a Different Tune", she is called "Mayor Mare" both in the story's narration and in dialogue.
Her Honor Mayor Mare presides over Ponyville's mane events, from parades and competitions to festivities like the Summer Sun Celebration and even Nightmare Night. This earth pony may be a natural politician who loves to make speeches but, as a gossip columnist discovers, her mane isn't naturally gray—Her Honor has a wild pink streak.
My Little Pony mobile game description
The mayor of Ponyville is known for making speeches at the most special events.
The Elements of Harmony guidebook
As the mayor of Ponyville, MAYOR MARE is always prepared to do whatever it takes to help her people.
MerchandiseA mini-figure of Mayor Mare in her Nightmare Night costume is to be released in the third wave of the Friendship is Magic Collection.
In Enterplay's trading cards, series 1 card #25 is of Mayor Mare and Time Turner, her "official town timekeeper". The cards were designed specifically with the brony demographic of older fans in mind, and the writer-consultant for the set has said the consultants submitted "at least a dozen direct fandom nods".
In Enterplay's collectible card game, premiere card α #58 C, The Crystal Games card #49 C, Equestrian Odysseys card #54 C, and High Magic card #82 U are of Mayor Mare.
- See also: Character appearances
|Y||At least one appearance where the character is the focus of a shot|
|S||At least one appearance where the character is the focus of a shot, without spoken dialogue or narration|
|B||Background appearance or an appearance where the character is not the focus|
|M||No appearance, but a mention by name or title|
|N||No appearance and no mention by name or title|
- "Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!"
- — Friendship is Magic, part 1
- "Stop her! Only she knows where the princess is!"
- — Friendship is Magic, part 2
- "Everypony calm down. There is no need to panic."
- — Applebuck Season
- "Thank you, everypony, for being here bright and early. We need every single pony's help to wrap up winter, and bring in spring."
- — Winter Wrap Up
- "Oh! What in Equestria are all you arguing about? This sort of silliness is why we were late for spring last year, and the year before that, and the year before that."
- — Winter Wrap Up
- "I can't believe it. Spring is here! On time! And we have you to thank for it. If it weren't for your organizing skills we would still be arguing."
- — Winter Wrap Up
- "Now, all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of... Nightmare Moon! [laughter]"
- — Luna Eclipsed
- "Yes. Come on, little ponies. What's Nightmare Night without the annual candy offering? You don't want Nightmare Moon to gobble you up, do you?"
- — Luna Eclipsed
- "And bring back all that money!"
- — The Last Roundup
- "Well, I'm not sure... Flim, Flam, would you object to honorary family members helping?"
- — The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
- "Amazing, Pony Tones! And it would be even more amazing if you could perform at my ribbon-cutting ceremony tomorrow!"
- — Filli Vanilli
- "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join these two in mare-trimony. As I look around this room, I can only imagine how uncomfortable Cranky must be."
- — Slice of Life
- "But I also see so many ponies from all trots of life, brought together by love. Cranky searched all across this great land of ours to find Matilda, and no matter what obstacles kept them apart, love would finally bring them together, just as it has brought all of us together now. It's remarkable to me how a story like Cranky's search for Matilda could fill this room with such a unique collection of ponies! It makes you realize that everypony is the star of their own story. And it's not just the main characters in our stories that make life so rich! It's everypony – those who play big parts and those who play small. If it weren't for everypony in this room and many more who couldn't be here today, Cranky and Matilda's lives wouldn't be as full and vibrant as they are."
- — Slice of Life
- "Mine said politician! As if!"
- — My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #12 page 13
- "Oh, I do love a good walk down a historical hall! So much history... in a hall!"
- — My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #15 page 6
- "This town is made up of all sorts of different types of ponies. Each and every one of us has our strengths and weaknesses. Together, we can get through anything. I could demand that everything be done how I want it. But I learned the hard way that's not always the best way to do things. Ponyville can get a little crazy, but we're a team... no matter what! That's why I'm still excited about this job. I get to go out and meet and work with ponies. The job's not about me, it's about Ponyville. And I don't think I'll ever stop loving Ponyville!"
- — My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #15 page 21
- "Most ponies don't like being told they need a permit to expand their home or sell produce in the town square, but they understand I always have Ponyville's best interests in mind."
- — Enterplay collectible card game The Crystal Games expansion set #49 C card of Mayor Mare
- "Remember, a vote for Mayor Mare is a vote for experience, a vote for integrity, and a vote for forward-thinking leadership!"
- — Enterplay collectible card game Equestrian Odysseys expansion set #54 C card of Mayor Mare
- Mayor Mare on the Collectible Card Game Wiki
- Mayor Mare on the My Little Pony Gameloft Wiki
- Mayor Mare on the Fan Wiki
- ↑ Dubbingpedia's publication of credits from SDI's e-mail (Polish). Retrieved on 2015 August 3.
- ↑ Cathy Weseluck interview. Everfree Radio (Feb 27, 2012). Retrieved on 2012 July 2.
- ↑ Magic Duel script excerpt from M.A. Larson's Twitter (2012-12-26). Retrieved on 2012 December 28.
- ↑ Enterplay consultants interview. Equestria Daily (2012-06-27). Retrieved on 2012 July 1.