Mr. Shy in Flutter Brutter
|Occupation||Weather factory worker (formerly)|
|Mane||Light amaranthish gray|
|Coat||Pale, light grayish malachite green|
|Relatives||Mrs. Shy (wife)|
Zephyr Breeze (son)
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||David Godfrey (English)|
Diego Sabre (Italian)
Mrs. Shy in Flutter Brutter
|Coat||Pale, light grayish amber|
|Relatives||Mr. Shy (husband)|
Zephyr Breeze (son)
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||Colleen Winton (English)|
Elisabetta Spinelli (Italian)
Development and designs
When asked about Fluttershy's parents on Twitter in late March 2015, Jim Miller responded "If we had an awesome story for them, I wouldn't say it was out of the question." As of June 4-6, 2016, their names may be subject to change.
Depiction in the series
Mr. and Mrs. Shy appear in the season six episode Flutter Brutter, having invited their daughter Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash to lunch. Mr. Shy is a retired weather factory worker and cloud collector, and Mrs. Shy is a gardener. The two are portrayed as timid and soft-spoken like Fluttershy, such that they consider Fluttershy to be the bold one in their family.
Mr. and Mrs. Shy hint to their daughter that they have allowed Zephyr Breeze—their son and Fluttershy's younger brother—to move back in with them, which they have done on several previous occasions. Fluttershy expresses worry about this arrangement because, due to their meekness and Zephyr Breeze's obnoxious personality, he has a history of freeloading off of them and having his way with their household.
When Zephyr moves back in with his parents, his presence causes an immediate disruption; he discards his father's cloud collection and uproots his mother's garden to make room for a personal art studio/meditation patio. This prompts Fluttershy's intervention, and she compels him to move out. The typically submissive Mr. and Mrs. Shy agree with their daughter, despite how upset it makes them to see their son leave.
Near the end of the episode, Mr. and Mrs. Shy are pleased by Zephyr's newfound drive and determination and proud of his accomplishment in graduating from mane therapy school.
Fluttershy's parents are indirectly mentioned on page 7 of the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Holiday Special comic. Rainbow Dash says to Fluttershy, "You know, I don't think I've ever met your family." and Pinkie Pie interrupts Fluttershy before she can talk about them.
- Mr. Shy: I have my clouds, your mom has her flowers, you've got your animals, and your brother...
- Mrs. Shy: Zephyr Breeze has his... interests. [nervous laugh]
- Mrs. Shy: [to Fluttershy] Zephyr's just trying to find his place, dear.
- Mr. Shy: Well, we may not be as bold as you, Fluttershy, but don't you worry. We know how to stand up for ourselves.
- Mr. Shy: [to Zephyr Breeze] You know we love you, son, but your sister has a point.
- Mrs. Shy: [to Rainbow Dash] Thank you, dear, for not giving up on Zephyr. After all these years of pining for him, it must be so satisfying to see him on the right track.
- Mr. Shy: Congratulations, son!
- Mrs. Shy: You look so handsome!
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-06-05). @ImperfectXIII Art director is @kkosicka. Primary character designer is @charmainevee. Colour by @fe_rib. Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 June 6.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-03-28). @GreerAlec @emeraldcitycon If we had an awesome story for them, I wouldn't say it was out of the question.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 March 28.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-06-06). The Biggest Jerk on Twitter: "@WazzaupwitU2 Fandom will decide the names. They were just Mr. & Mrs. Shy in the script.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 June 13.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-06-04). The Biggest Jerk on Twitter: "@FlutterFillyShy No official names at this point. They were just Mr. & Mrs. Shy in the script.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 June 13.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-06-06). The Biggest Jerk on Twitter: "@Murrisson @WazzaupwitU2 I'm just telling folks that they have no official names at this point.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 June 13.