The game's lead producer is Gustav Seymore, and the lead designer is Fawzi Mesmar. Development began in January 2012. Fire Chief was made available in-game in response to fan request. A number of pieces of fanart have been used in the game and its advertisements; for example, an early advertisement used fanart of Princess Cadance, and Octavia Melody's album page used fanart of her as a filly until June 13, 2013. There are no plans to add Button Mash, his mom, or Fluffle Puff to the game.
The English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Turkish language versions of the game use the Celestia Medium Redux typeface, a fan-created typeface designed to look similar to Generation B, which is used in the typesetting of the logo and in other official material. The Russian version instead uses Calibri, the Chinese version uses a font derived from Frutiger, the Japanese version uses the font used for the episode titles in that language's dub, and the Korean version uses Eunjin.
GameplayThe gameplay centers around rebuilding Ponyville and it features "placing, building, and collecting" aspects. Many buildings and shops from the gameplay are from shops that are seen based on the show. Characters can be leveled up through specific tasks. The player starts as Twilight Sparkle, and more than 46 characters are to be available, obtainable in different ways. There are multiple kinds of currencies in the game which can be used for unlocking features, and alternatively the features can be purchased.
Four minigames are available in the initial release: an apple-picking game, cloud-clearing game, star connecting game, and a ball-bouncing game. If the cloud-clearing game is played as an Earth pony or a unicorn, the pony flies using magic wings similar to those used by Rarity in Sonic Rainboom and by her and Daisy Dreams in the Glimmer Wings toy line. In March 2014, a Mine cart game was announced.
In the Equestria Girls update, a dancing minigame is added that features 3 songs: an instrumental version of the opening theme, This Strange World, and the EG Stomp. Also, 2 more songs were added later- an instrumental version of Time to Come Together and Cafeteria Song.
There are missions in the game which must be completed in order to progress through it. Some of the early missions include: Put Your Hoof Down, Carnival Games, Droughty Dragon, Flagged Down, Studying Hard, Taking the Cake, Cherry on Top, Cutie Mark Chronicles, Lemon Aid, and Apple Cravings.
List of buildings
The following chart details the buildings available in the game, their costs, and the benefits they provide.
|List of buildings|
1 Star requirement for the first pony is always 0 for every building.
- Winter Update 2012 (Version 1.1)
- iOS: December 20, 2012
- Android: January 4, 2013
- Hearts and Hooves Day Update 2013 (Version 1.2)
- iOS: February 14, 2013
- Android: February 13, 2013
- Winter Wrap-Up Update 2013 (Version 1.3)
- iOS: March 12, 2013
- Android: March 12, 2013
- Spring Update 2013 (Version 1.4):
- iOS: March 28, 2013
- Canterlot Update (Version 2.0 (pre-SAA))
- iOS: April 15, 2013
- Android: April 15, 2013
- Movie Time Update (Version 2.1 (pre-SAA))
- iOS: June 13, 2013
- Android: June 13, 2013
- Spa Ponies Update (Version 2.2 (pre-SAA))
- iOS: August 26, 2013
- Android: August 26, 2013
- Equestria Girls Dance Update (Version 2.3.0 (pre-SAA))
- iOS: October 15, 2013
- Android: October 15, 2013
- Nightmare Night Update 2013 (Version 2.3.1 (pre-SAA))
- iOS: October 23, 2013
- Android: October 23, 2013
- Hearth's Warming Eve Update 2013 (Version 1.7.0)
- iOS: December 9, 2013
- Android: December 9, 2013
- Hearth's Warming Eve Update 2013 - Extended (Version 1.7.1)
- iOS: December 12, 2013
- Android December 12, 2013
- Crystal Mine Update (Version 1.8)
- iOS: April 3, 2014
- Android: April 3, 2014
- Sweet Apple Acres Update (Version 1.9)
- iOS: June 4, 2014
- Android: June 4, 2014
- Bugfix Update (Version 2.0)
- iOS: October 6, 2014
- Android: October 13, 2014
- Everfree Forest Update (Version 2.1)
- iOS: December 11, 2014
- Android: December 11, 2014
- Twilight's Kingdom Update (Version 2.2)
- iOS: March 13, 2015
- Android: March 13, 2015
- Dragon Battle Update (Version 2.3)
- iOS: April 21, 2015
- Android: April 21, 2015
- Collection Album Update (Version 2.4)
- iOS: July 20, 2015
- Android: July 20, 2015
- The Cutie Map Update (Version 2.5)
- iOS: September 24, 2015
- Android: October 1, 2015
- Hearth's Warming Eve Update 2015 (Version 2.6)
- iOS: December 14, 2015
- Android: December 15, 2015
- Griffons Update (Version 2.7)
- iOS: February 17, 2016
- Android: March 1, 2016
- Ponyville Party Update (Version 2.8)
- iOS: April 13, 2016
- Android: April 14, 2016
- Fashion Show Update (Version 2.9)
- iOS: June 9, 2016
- Android: June 17, 2016
- The Mane Event Update (Version 3.0)
- iOS: August 3, 2016
- Android: August 3, 2016
- Crystal Empire Update (Version 3.1.0)
- iOS: September 28, 2016
- Android: September 28, 2016
- Nightmare Night Update 2016 (Version 3.1.1)
- iOS: October 24, 2016
- Android: October 24, 2016
- Golden Horseshoe Hotel Update (Version 3.2.0)
- iOS: November 29, 2016
- Android: December 1, 2016
- Hearth's Warming Eve Update 2016 (Version 3.2.1)
- iOS: December 16, 2016
- Android: December 16, 2016
The game was demoed at the My Little Pony Project 2012 New York fair in October 2012. Players described it as a Sims-style game in which the player starts with Twilight Sparkle and has to rebuild Ponyville. Two minigames were shown at the venue: a ball bouncing game, and a game with Rainbow Dash flying through clouds; a representative said more minigames would be available, and that the app would be free with downloadable content for purchase, and that gameplay would not require internet access.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ My Little Pony Developer Interview: Part 1. GAMELOFT us blog (2013-05-17). Retrieved on 2013 May 24.
- ↑ My Little Pony Developer Interview: Part 2. GAMELOFT us blog (2013-05-20). Retrieved on 2013 May 24.
- ↑ Timeline Photos - My Little Pony Game. Facebook (2013-10-29). Retrieved on 2013 October 30.
- ↑ Cadence (2011-12-14). Retrieved on 2012 November 13.
- ↑ Timeline Photos. Facebook (2013-09-30). Retrieved on 2013 October 1.
- ↑ O'Dell Harmon (2012-10-25). My Little Pony. Game Informer. Retrieved on 2012 October 26.
- ↑ Equestria Daily: My Little Pony Mobile Game Information (2012-10-12). Retrieved on 2012 October 17.