|Residence||A decorative house with DJ Pon-3|
|Mane||¤ Dark gray with a lighter tint|
|Nicknames||Tavi, Oc (The Periodic Table of My Little Pony)|
|Relatives||Unnamed Earth mare (ancient relative)|
| Cutie mark|
|Voice||Kazumi Evans (English)|
Marion Musiol (German)
Asami Yoshida (Japanese)
Bożena Furczyk (Polish, Friendship is Magic)
Bruna Guerin (Brazilian Portuguese)
Silvia Gâscă (Romanian)
Development and design
Octavia Melody shares her eye design with Rarity, the spa ponies, and several background ponies, except for the iris. The origin of the name "Octavia" is attributed to both Alex McG in a comment on May 7, 2011, and a Blogger commenter going by the nickname "Octavia." This fan-given name was officially adopted in Enterplay's cards and in Gameloft's mobile game each in 2012 and used in one of Little, Brown's chapter books, being expanded to "Octavia Melody" in Hasbro's toy line and in Funko's vinyl figure line each in 2013. The name "Octavia" likely refers to the musical concept of octaves, whereas "Melody" refers to the term of the same name.While the show does not specifically identify Octavia Melody's instrument, cards state that it is a cello. William Anderson, the show's composer, has relayed to Equestria Daily that the music playing at the garden party in Sweet and Elite features a harp, two violins, and a cello, which pegs Octavia as a cellist. The show's director, Jayson Thiessen, figures the instrument is a cello as it's "more sophisticated and appropriate for the gala." Meghan McCarthy has indirectly referred to Octavia's role in Inspiration Manifestation as "cello playing."
Octavia shares her design and cutie mark with Fiddly Twang, but her cutie mark and usually eyes are blue whereas Octavia's are purple.
Depiction in the series
Season oneShe plays a cello as part of a four-pony musical ensemble at the Grand Galloping Gala in the episode The Best Night Ever. She retains an apparently calm dignified expression when in costume, except when Pinkie Pie disturbs her. At Pinkie's request, the orchestra plays the Pony Pokey. Octavia Melody eventually falls over when Pinkie tries to make her play faster.
Octavia appears briefly in Sweet and Elite in the garden party scene, playing with a mostly-different musical ensemble.
Octavia appears in Inspiration Manifestation, switched from S04E16 Unnamed Earth Stallion #2 by a cursed Rarity during a filly's birthday party. In the episode Equestria Games, she is barely seen in the audience as Spike attempts to light the torch.
Season fiveIn Bloom & Gloom, in Sweetie Belle's dream, Octavia, seated at a table with DJ Pon-3 and Rarity, watch Sweetie about to sing on stage, but Sweetie suddenly discovers a broom as a cutie mark and her microphone is replaced with a broom. As a result, both Octavia and DJ-Pon-3 give Sweetie a score of "0", while Rarity gives her a score of "1".
Octavia has her first in-show speaking role in Slice of Life, in which she speaks with an upper-class British accent. In the episode, Octavia is revealed to be DJ Pon-3's housemate, and the two compose an "electric cello dubstep" musical piece for Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda's wedding. The credits name Octavia Melody as in (some) previous materials. She or Fiddly Twang appears silhouetted playing the cello during The Magic Inside in The Mane Attraction. She and DJ Pon-3 appear during the final group shot in The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2.
In A Hearth's Warming Tail, Octavia appears in the story within the story first as a street dweller, than as a musician at Snowdash's party playing violin instead of cello alongside gramophone spinner DJ Pon-3. She also appears conducting a small choir during Hearth's Warming Eve Is Here Once Again and as a guest during the Hearth's Warming celebration at the Castle of Friendship during the reprise.
In 28 Pranks Later, Octavia takes part in a city-wide zombie-themed prank on Rainbow Dash. In The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, Octavia appears receiving help from Gabby during Find the Purpose in Your Life and later at Gabby's cute-ceañera.
Depiction in My Little Pony The Movie
Octavia appears providing music at the Friendship Festival in My Little Pony The Movie.
Octavia is mentioned twice in Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party! In chapter 8, "Pinkie-less Party Planning," Applejack says "I heard that Octavia might know the bassist from Nine Inch Tails." In chapter 13, "Pinkie Takes Action!" Pinkie Pie mentions Octavia as being a musician.
In Princess Luna and the Festival of the Winter Moon, Apple Bloom mentions Octavia when she says that she and DJ Pon-3 loaned the Crusaders some moonglasses for the titular festival.Card Creator game around January 25, 2012, named "MLP_CharV_WhomeverThisIs.swf." The file was included with the same name when the game was added to the Hubworld website around February 2, 2012.
Octavia, wearing her collar and bow tie, is one of the available playable characters in Gameloft's mobile game. The game's icon of her used fanart depicting her as a filly until June 13, 2013, though her in-game character model matches her usual appearance.
My Little Pony mobile game description
Part of a four-pony musical ensemble, this talented cello player can be seen performing in Ponyville's most sophisticated celebrations.
MerchandiseA Octavia Melody miniature collectible featuring her playing her cello was displayed at the 2013 New York Toy Fair. It was later released as part of a 3-piece set alongside Lyrica Lilac and Lyra Heartstrings, called the "Groovin' Hooves Set".
Octavia, along with a host of other characters from the show, appears on the Comic Con 2011 promotional poster. She is wearing her collar and bow tie and holding her cello and its bow.
Base collectable trading card #27 of 84 is DJ Pon-3 & Octavia, with the description "DJ Pon-3 and Octavia may both be at the top of their musical games, but their careers are very, very different! You can find Octavia at garden parties and galas performing prim and proper classical music on her cello. On the other hoof, DJ Pon-3 feels at home behind her turntable, laying down sick beats and wearing her trademark sunglasses. Are these two bitter rivals, or are they long time friends? Will they ever perform a duet? Only time will tell!"
Octavia also appears in Enterplay's collectible card game. Card α #103 U, A Touch of Refinement, attributes to her the quote "There are few social engagements not improved by the proper musical accompaniment." Card α #205 UR gives her the description "Octavia has many acquaintances in the musical world, but never expected to meet one of her closest friends performing at a Canterlot night club." Canterlot Nights expansion set card #32 C of Doc Top attributes to him and her the respective quotes "Aww, do you have a boo-boo? Who's the bwave wittle filly? Is it you?" and "... Perhaps it is time I finally found a new primary care physician." Canterlot Nights expansion set card #74 U gives her the description "Classical may not be every pony's favorite genre, but almost anypony can appreciate the dulcet tones of Octavia at her cello." Rock N Rave set card #4 F gives her the description "'Octavia Melody is, without a doubt, the finest cellist of our generation.' —excerpt from The Canterlot Sun, Arts page". The Crystal Games expansion set card #Pƒ6 lists the quote "This isn't a contest, Vinyl..."
WeLoveFine.com carries T-shirts and other merchandise of Octavia, often wearing her collar and bow tie and holding her cello and its bow. One of the T-shirt designs, released prior to the trading card, refers to her as "Octavia."
- See also: Character appearances
|Y||At least one appearance where the character is the focus of a shot|
|S||At least one appearance where the character is the focus of a shot, without spoken dialogue or narration|
|B||Background appearance or an appearance where the character is not the focus|
|M||No appearance, but a mention by name or title|
|N||No appearance and no mention by name or title|
- "A monster attack?! Blast! I'm performing at the ceremony this afternoon, and I still haven't sorted out what to play. How am I meant to practice with a monster invading Ponyville?"
- — Slice of Life
- "That's more like it!"
- — Slice of Life and Enterplay trading card series 3 #P14 card of Octavia
- "Something like that might work."
- — To DJ Pon-3, Slice of Life
- "*grumble* I can't believe someone ran off with our cart. Don't they know that some of us can't use magic to carry these things around?"
- — Friendship is Magic Issue #9 page 9
- Friendship is Magic Issue #9 page 9
- Octavia Melody: I can't believe it, we're going to be late for our gig...
- Parish Nandermane: So you're allowed to complain and I'm not?
- Octavia Melody: Fine. Tell me more about your gold leaf.
- "There are few social engagements not improved by the proper musical accompaniment."
- — Enterplay collectible card game α #103 U card A Touch of Refinement
- "... Perhaps it is time I finally found a new primary care physician."
- — Enterplay collectible card game Canterlot Nights #32 C card of Doc Top
- "This isn't a contest, Vinyl..."
- — Enterplay collectible card game The Crystal Games #Pƒ6 card of Octavia
- "I admit that I AM picky. I simply know good music when I hear it, and will accept nothing less."
- — Enterplay collectible card game Equestrian Odysseys #69 R and #Pƒ6 cards of Octavia
- "Laughter and singing will see us through!"
- — Singing The Heart Carol, Enterplay collectible card game Defenders of Equestria #44 C card of Octavia
- "A happy, swingin’, jazzy, dancing birthday to all you July ponies!"
- — My Little Pony Facebook post
- Octavia Melody (EG)
- Octavia on the Collectible Card Game Wiki
- Octavia on the Fan Wiki
- Octavia on the My Little Pony Gameloft Wiki
- This article's speculation page.
- Ponies with a similar name: Moonlight Melody and Spring Melody.
- ↑ Ted Anderson and Agnes Garbowska, The Creative Team Behind FIENDship is Magic: SIRENS, Talk Ponies of the Deep. IDW Publishing (2015-03-24). Retrieved on 2015 April 16.
- ↑ Dubbingpedia's publication of credits from SDI's e-mail (Polish). Retrieved on 2015 August 3.
- ↑ Equestria Daily user Octavia claiming the same thing; response by Spyda K later in the thread (2012-02-02). Archived from the original on 2012 October 05. Retrieved on 2014 November 8.
- ↑ William Anderson about the music playing at the garden party in Sweet and Elite (2011-12-04). Retrieved on 2011 December 5.
- ↑ Jayson Thiessen Q&A on reddit (2011-08-28). Retrieved on 2012 January 26.
- ↑ Meghan McCarthy (2014-04-24). MMeghanMcCarthy: Creepy puppets, cello playing, .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 April 26.
- ↑ Andy Price and Katie Cook at the 2012 Cincinnati Comic Expo My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic panel (2012-09-23). Retrieved on 2012 October 1.
- ↑ Card Creator Flash asset on Hasbro website. Retrieved on 2012 June 14.
- ↑ Game Review - My Little Pony Friendship is Magic on iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (2012-11-07). Retrieved on 2012 November 10.
- ↑ Octavia as a filly, MLP:FiM (2011-05-14). Retrieved on 2012 November 10.
- ↑ My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic - Universal - HD Gameplay Trailer (2012-11-07). Retrieved on 2012 November 10.
- ↑ IMG_2256_zps430d6d09.jpg (2013-05-04). Retrieved on 2013 May 6.
- ↑ Upcoming #mlpfim #tfny #tf13 mini figs. Stitch Kingdom (2013-02-09). Retrieved on 2013 February 9.
- ↑ My Little Pony Octavia Vinyl Figure Pre-Order. Hot Topic. Retrieved on 2013 September 26.
- ↑ My Little Pony Prerelease Part 2 and Rainbow Dash Theme Deck (2013-12-09). Retrieved on 2013 December 11.
- ↑ MLP_CCG: Doc's bedside manner is amazing, .... Twitter (2014-05-14). Retrieved on 2014 May 14.
- ↑ Enterplay LLC (2015-01-22). Timeline Photos. Facebook. Retrieved on 2015 January 23.
- ↑ Ted Anderson (2014-08-13). Annotations for My Little Pony issues 21-22 (Manehattan Mysteries). This is less fun than previously indicated. Tumblr. Retrieved on 2015 January 2.
- ↑ Timeline Photos. Facebook (2015-07-01). Retrieved on 2015 July 2.