DevelopmentThe village was "always just referred to" as Our Town by crew and another name was not thought of, according to season six supervising director Jim Miller. "Fandom can decide what to call the village" in M.A. Larson's opinion, according to a tweet on April 8, 2015. When asked whether or not Starlight Glimmer's village has a name, Miller replied "We refer to it as 'Our Town' but as of yet, it has no official name." Signature My Little Pony Special magazine issue 1's Equestria News has since officialized Our Town's name.
Depiction in the seriesSome time prior to the events of The Cutie Map - Part 1, Starlight Glimmer establishes Our Town and becomes its leader. She convinces its residents that their lives will be happier and fuller without their cutie marks. As a result, everyone in the village, with the exception of Starlight herself, lives "cutie unmarked" and talentless under the imposed banner of equality. To reflect this, all of the houses in Our Town are arranged into two parallel rows that form an equal sign, with the exception of Starlight's once again.
When Twilight Sparkle and her friends visit the town, as directed by the map in Twilight's castle throne room, Starlight and her followers show how content their lives are there. As they explain through the song In Our Town, they "do not separate [themselves] by more than name," they "dare not compete," "no one is superior," and "you can't have a nightmare if you never dream." By the end of Part 1, Starlight uses her magic to remove the Mane Six's cutie marks as well and make them permanent residents of the village.
In The Cutie Map - Part 2, the Mane Six expose Starlight's dark secrets to the other villagers and collapse the illusion of Starlight's perfect society. With the help of Party Favor, Sugar Belle, Night Glider, and Double Diamond, the Mane Six reclaim their cutie marks and drive Starlight Glimmer into retreating. The residents of Our Town decide to stay in the village that has become their home, and they are last seen celebrating the return of their cutie marks.
In The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2, a reformed Starlight, along with Twilight Sparkle, returns to the village to apologize to the inhabitants. In To Where and Back Again - Part 1 and Part 2, the village celebrates its Sunset Festival. In both parts, a large tree is shown to now reside where Starlight's house once stood.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ilona Iske (2018-03-23). Exclusive: Signature Publishing to release MLP Special Magazines. MLP Merch. Blogger. Retrieved on 2018 April 3.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Jim Miller (2015-04-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "@SomeBronyArtist We always just referred to it as 'Our Town' like in the song.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 16.
- ↑ Jayson Thiessen (2015-04-05). Jayson Thiessen on Twitter: "@Rotosequence @lunaris22 "in Our Town, in Our Town..."". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 15.
- ↑ Jayson Thiessen (2015-04-05). Jayson Thiessen on Twitter: "If you listen closely, they name the town in the song... #MLP5". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 15.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-04-04). Big Jim on Twitter: "Even 'Our Town' is an equal sign. #MLP5". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 15.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-04-07). Big Jim on Twitter: "@SomeBronyArtist Nope!". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 16.
- ↑ M.A. Larson (2015-04-08). M.A. Larson on Twitter: "My 2 cents: -Fandom can decide what to call the village -Fandom can debate deeper meanings & stuff In other words: https://t.co/cQxSSxHxdj". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 15.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2016-11-20). Big Jim on Twitter: "@XxMaskedPonyxX We refer to it as 'Our Town' but as of yet, it has no official name.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 November 25.