According to Lauren Faust on Twitter, Trixie attended the School for Gifted Unicorns; for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #40, Ted Anderson "had a line in an earlier version of the script in which Celestia greeted Trixie by name (”Welcome, Miss Lulamoon!”), but that was rejected by Hasbro, on the grounds that Trixie never went to the School for Gifted Unicorns", and Brenda Hickey—remembering Faust's statement and unaware of the rejection at the time—put Trixie in without being given any notes from Hasbro.
Depiction in the seriesIn the season one episode The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Twilight Sparkle tells the Cutie Mark Crusaders the story of how she received her cutie mark. She says that when she was a filly, her parents enrolled her in Princess Celestia's school to study magic. At the entrance exam, Twilight was tasked with hatching a dragon egg, but her magic got out of control when she was startled by Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom. Princess Celestia witnessed Twilight's magical abilities and made Twilight her personal student.
In the season three episode The Crystal Empire - Part 1, Professor Bill Neigh calculates the square root of 546 as 23.36664289109 in a Canterlot room which is not directly identified but which matches the room shown in The Cutie Mark Chronicles.
In the season five episode Amending Fences, Twilight Sparkle and her old Canterlot friends visit the school, and Twilight reminisces about her old science lab partner Moon Dancer. In The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1, Twilight gives a lecture at the school to a class of magic students.
Depiction in the comicsIn My Little Pony Micro-Series Issue #8, the School for Gifted Unicorns holds its annual Royal High Tea at Canterlot Castle. Numerous students, parents, and pony-teacher committee are seen in attendance. When one of the school's senior teachers, Professor Inkwell, begins to lose her peers' respect, Princess Celestia holds a meeting at the school to decide Inkwell's retirement. The committee is reminded of Inkwell's many contributions to the school, and Inkwell is allowed to stay on as a teacher.
In My Little Pony Micro-Series Issue #10, when Princess Luna takes over Celestia's duties for a day, she goes to a "Best Attendance" award presentation at the school—during which she falls asleep for four minutes.
In the My Little Pony Annual 2013 mini-comic The Fall of Sunset Shimmer, Sunset Shimmer passes her mid-term exam by using a growth spell on a potted plant, much to the amazement of her teachers and fellow students.
In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #40, Twilight recalls her first semester at the school. During her time as a student, she is tasked by Princess Celestia with caring for the newborn Spike. Taking care of Spike interferes with Twilight's schoolwork so much that she falls behind in her classes, to the point where she takes her frustration out on the infant dragon. However, Twilight comes to understand the true purpose of Celestia's task, and she gives Spike—her first friend—his name.
The Canterlot School for Unicorns is featured in Gameloft's mobile game and stated to be the home of Sunset Shimmer.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 In Amending Fences.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 In My Little Pony Micro-Series Issue #8.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #40.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 In My Little Pony Annual 2013.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 In Enterplay's collectible card game.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 In The Cutie Mark Chronicles.
- ↑ In The Crystal Empire - Part 1.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Lauren Faust (2013-05-01). @yatpay She also went to.... Twitter. Retrieved on 2013 December 31.
- ↑ Ted Anderson (2016-03-16). Annotations for My Little Pony #40: Twilight and Spike flashback. Electrified Fooling Machine. Tumblr. Retrieved on 2016 March 16.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Brenda Hickey (2016-04-03). Brenda Hickey on Twitter: "@VincentProvost3 Nope! Didn't hear bout them asking Ted to omit her either. I put her in cause I remember Faust said she went to the school.". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 April 5.