Greetings, fellow Wikians! Well, that was quite an episode, wasn't it? Anyway, we're comparing the ninth episode of each season of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic today. Here they are.
All you need to do is to rank the episodes above from your favorite to least favorite. It's also appreciated if you give your thoughts on these episodes too.
Here's my ranking, and this time, I'll try to write my thoughts shorter.
- Sweet and Elite: Another wonderful outing from writer Meghan McCarthy. Rarity was great here. Her dilemma of choosing between hanging out with high society ponies or with her friends was executed very well. We are shown her struggle with deciding which group of people she should be with, which really makes her conflict understandable enough, even if her actions were pretty reprehensible. It also features a Rarity song which, while not as good as Art of the Dress, was still very good, catchy even.
- Pinkie Apple Pie: A very enjoyable family road trip episode with a wonderful message about how despite all the challenges the Apple family may face, the fact that they were still united together shows just how strong their family bond is. Plus, Pinkie Pie was just great in this one, just simply enjoying the ride.
- Slice of Life: This episode adds plenty of personality to background ponies which we don't know much about until now and characters who we already know about now. This, along with a great moral, all adds up to an episode that's all just shameless fan-pandering with the right amount of ridiculousness to create one of Season 5's most enjoyable episodes thus far. Thanks, M.A. Larson, and I mean that for real.
- Spike at Your Service: While I think this episode was very flawed when it comes to how it portrays Spike, I feel that it did well in other areas. I thought Applejack's conflict concerning how she wants to handle Spike is pretty interesting, and the character interactions between the Mane 6 were just wonderful. Yes, this episode's a mixed bag, and this would've been last if this ranking list were more objective. However, I still really enjoyed it.
- Bridle Gossip: I enjoyed the Mane 6 as they experience the ailments caused by the poison joke and featured a good early characterization of Apple Bloom. However, I do find the handling of the subject of racism (or in this case, speciesism) to be very basic, and not a very interesting take on the subject. Nevertheless, this episode's still pretty enjoyable.
In addition to ranking these episodes, I also got a poll dedicated to the latest episode for you to vote on below.
If you're wondering why I combined Celestia and Luna instead of separating the fact, it's because they don't really have a separate moment of their own. With the only two scenes they have, we see them interacting with each other. The same goes for the Flower ponies. The reason why I didn't do this to Lyra and Bon Bon, however, is because their personalities as shown in the episode is a bit more different; different enough for me to separate them in this poll.
Anyway, give your ranking list of the ninth episodes, vote on this poll, and tell me what you think!