Greetings, fellow Wikians! Now, just to get straight to the point, let's do something fun: compare the seventh episode from each season of the show.
May the Best Pet Win!
Make New Friends but Keep Discord
Now, what you have to do is to rank these episodes from your favorite to least favorite. It's also appreciated if you give reasons for your ranking of these episodes.
Now, before I get to my ranking, some of you might be wondering where did I get this idea from. Well, let me explain, though if you don't wish to read it, you can just skip the next two paragraphs.
Back in 2012 and early 2013, I was a frequenter of the imageboard Ponychan. If my memory is to be believed, when Season 2 was still airing, I saw a thread which asks the users of that website to compare the episodes of Seasons 1 and 2 based on their episode numbers by season at some point during that season. I believed I used this idea to make a thread later in the season after more S2 episodes have aired, so this isn't the first time I've done this, and I've probably made more threads like that.
However, that's only an explanation of how I got this idea. What inspired me to do this blog was visiting the website once more and saw a thread like this being made after each episode has aired. For example, this is the latest thread asking to compare the sixth episode of each season. When I saw these threads, an idea popped in my head: "Why don't I make a blog like this in the MLP wiki?" Which is why I planned to make this blog the day after Make New Friends but Keep Discord airs.
With that said, here is my ranking.
- Bats!: This episode does a great job of presenting both sides of the conflict, and while it did ultimately take Fluttershy's side, this doesn't remove from the fact that Applejack's side is still very understandable, considering how the bats have had destroyed the Apple farm before, in addition to her prideful nature. The second half is something that doesn't feel out of place from a horror film, and I found it to be quite entertaining.
- Wonderbolts Academy: This episode features one of the best portrayals of Rainbow Dash ever, if not the best. It shows just how far she has come from Season 1 to early Season 2, which is further emphasized by the contrasting personality of Lightning Dust, who is very much akin to the Rainbow Dash of the show's early days, which makes her quite a good foil for Rainbow.
- Dragonshy: This is the first episode of the show that I can say I truly loved. Despite being a Fluttershy episode, the other main characters truly had their time to shine. That, along with one of Fluttershy's greatest moments, make this a strong first outing from Meghan McCarthy.
- Make New Friends but Keep Discord: This episode was a heck of a ride all the way through. A lot of good character moments, good jokes, and plenty of pop culture references to satisfy fans. It's my second favorite of Season 5 thus far, only behind The Cutie Map.
- May the Best Pet Win!: Not a great episode, but I still enjoyed it. Several good gags, a great musical number, and a nice bit of character development for Rainbow Dash. It's a decent episode, though it doesn't really compare to the other seventh episodes.
And that's my ranking. Keep in mind that I'll be doing this every week where an MLP episode airs, so expect another blog like this next week comparing the eighth episodes.
Anyway, how would you rank these episodes? Comment below and tell me what you think!