Greetings, fellow Wikians! It's that time again where I ask you to compare episodes from the same episode number in different seasons.
With Princess Spike now aired, we have now hit the double digits. Hurrah! Anyway, we'll be comparing the tenth episodes today. Here they are.
All you need to do is to rank the episodes above from your favorite to least favorite. It's also appreciated if you give your thoughts on these episodes too.
Here's my ranking.
- Keep Calm and Flutter On: This episode features possibly one of Fluttershy's most admirable characterizations yet, as she takes it upon herself to try and befriend Discord any way she can, despite the challenges faced. Speaking of Discord, he is just as entertaining as he was in The Return of Harmony. In addition, this also marks the beginning of Discord as a supporting character, which I think has been a big plus for the show not only in terms of entertainment value, but also some great character development for the mischievous draconequus. All in all, it's a great episode.
- Secret of My Excess: This episode introduces a new aspect to dragons, that being their greedy instincts. While not perfectly introduced, it does create a pretty interesting conflict for Spike to face. We see how his early act of generosity towards Rarity is juxtaposed by his later acts of greed. In addition to that, I also really liked that this episode directly explores Spike and Rarity's relationship explored quite a bit more, and I thought it was done quite well. Overall, I really like this episode. It's definitely one of Spike's better episodes.
- Swarm of the Century: This episode's a good one. A lot of this episode's fun comes from how our main characters respond to the parasprite infestation, which certainly makes for a really entertaining episode.
- Rainbow Falls: Believe it or not, I actually like this episode now. Why? Well, the issues I took with this episode have become much less bothersome as I re-evaluate the episode. Through my re-evaluation, I was also able to appreciate the good aspects that this episode had to offer, mainly Rainbow's conflict, which I thought hit all the notes that it needs to. It doesn't stand up to Rainbow's best episodes, sure, but it is still a pretty good one in my book.
- Princess Spike: This episode is quite a mixed bag. I thought Spike's conflict involving his desire to feel more powerful by making decisions in Twilight's name was interesting considering he has been taking the role of Twilight's assistant for a very long time, and I thought it was executed pretty decently. At least, for the most part. One thing that really bugged me about this episode involves the disasters caused by Spike's bad decisions. If this episode wants to show the how his power hunger can have negative repercussions, then they shouldn't make the disasters a result of his decisions made when he was power-hungry rather than the decisions he made when he had good intentions. This makes the episode feel confused in its execution and suffers because of it.
Now that I've given my ranking list, how would you rank these episodes? Comment below and tell me what you think.