Greetings, fellow Wikians! Today, we'll be taking a look at the twenty-second episodes of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Here they are.
What About Discord?
All you need to do is to rank the episodes above from your favorite to least favorite. It's also appreciated if you give your thoughts on these episodes too.
Now, before I get to my ranking list, I want to point out a few commonalities between these episodes.
- Two of these episodes focus mainly on Fluttershy. (A Bird in the Hoof and Hurricane Fluttershy; also worth mentioning that both of these episodes use similar sounds for Fluttershy's crying scenes)
- The titles of two of these episodes end with a punctuation. (Trade Ya! and What About Discord?)
Anyway, on to my ranking list.
- Hurricane Fluttershy: This episode is absolutely fantastic. It does a great job at portraying Fluttershy's conflict and making her feel strongly sympathetic, showing her struggle emotionally with her self-consciousness and her great efforts in improving herself, building up to a triumphant resolution. Rainbow Dash is also very well-characterized here as we see her encourage her friend to participate and her absolute dedication in making sure the water gets transported. With all the emotional highs this episode provided, it's no surprise why a lot of people loved this episode, including me as I consider it my favorite episode of the entire show.
- Trade Ya!: I found this one a lot of fun to watch. I liked the structure of having three different pairs in three separate stories, and while the focus felt uneven (Rainbow and Fluttershy's story takes up a huge chunk of the episode's runtime), they were still entertaining enough to excuse that problem. I will say that the ending was pretty mishandled. How the episode treats Fluttershy accepting Rainbow's possibly unconscious decision to trade her for a book for Rainbow's sake rather than standing up for herself plus how Twilight basically allowed this trade to happen because it was "fair" were pretty problematic. However, even that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the episode. It just means that this episode is quite flawed from an objective standpoint.
- What About Discord?: I liked how this episode approached Twilight's character by showing how her princess status does not equal perfection, and how she can sometimes have her moments of irrationality. I also think this episode demonstrates well how a genuinely reformed Discord (or at least the closest we get so far to him actually feeling genuinely reformed) would behave by portraying him as kind of a good friend to the Mane Six, yet still maintains his chaotic and mischievous nature both in his comedic antics and his gleefulness in seeing Twilight attempting to recreate the weekend that her friends experience. That said, I feel like this episode is more interesting than actually good. It's definitely decent, but not a standout.
- A Bird in the Hoof: I found this episode to be pretty enjoyable in some parts, but as a whole, it's pretty average. Not much more I can say other than that.
So, how would you rank these episodes? Comment below and tell me what you think!