FANDOM


FANMADE Star Swirl the Bearded

It appears to be entirely possible that Discord's brand of chaos and even friendship itself (within the canon of FiM) can be explained in scientific terms in regard to occurrences from the past century. This is entirely speculation, but it seems perfectly reasonable given the nature of the characters involved--Discord, Starswirl, and Twilight. Without any further ado, I present to you... my own brand of madness.

To start, let's look at a rather peculiar exchange...

Discord: Picture it: The chaos capital of the world.
Twilight Sparkle: I can't picture anything. It's too dark. [splash]
Discord: Well, wait a few minutes and you'll see it in the beautiful light of day. Or not.

"Or not"? By all means, it seems as if Discord either does not know whether or not his chaotic sun will rise, or he simply does not care enough to tell Twilight the truth of the matter. However, his flamboyant displays of ballet and "You've just GOT to see what I just did" kind of attitude suggest that the former is closer to the truth. Discord did not seem to know if the sun would rise or not.

Therefore, it appears that Discord cannot actually control the chaos he creates directly. There are two possibilities involved: the sun will rise in a few minutes, or it will not.

Before I go on, I must say something about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which is what this incident happens to remind me of. It (basically) says:

The more precisely the position [of the electron] is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa.

With this in mind, we can define the rising of Discord's sun as a matter of probability. It seems safe to assume that the sun will rise at some point, but when will this happen? If we assume that the "precise position" is the point when the sun reaches the horizon, and the momentum is the rate at which it will reach this point (I know this is shaky, but for the sake of this example, let us assume that the rate is constant), then everything is set.

Discord knows that the sun will reach the horizon, but he does not know when it will do so (which for him, would demand knowledge of its rate). Therefore, Discord's powers are not rooted in chaos, which is generally a relative term, but in probability and uncertainty. In other words, Discord accomplishes all of his work by changing the probability of certain events.

For example, assume that the Elements of Harmony have similar properties to electrons to Discord. Electrons are known to exist in orbitals, but according to the uncertainty principle, there is a probability that the electron you are searching for can exist ANYWHERE in the entire universe. However, being solid objects, the Elements would have fixed positions to all ponies and other creatures. Yet Discord would see them as having a 99.999...% chance of being in said locations. The rest of the universe (that is, the area outside the system) is essentially one giant node where there is an infinitesimally small chance of finding the electron.

So... with his control over probability, what if he moved the six orbitals to somewhere else, such as the library? The Elements would have a practical 0% chance of being found in Canterlot Tower, the hedge maze, or anywhere else, but they would have a near 100% chance of being found by the Mane 6 in the library. To six mortal ponies who do not deal in matters of nearly impossible scenarios, it would appears as if he simply warped them there, and that is not very chaotic at all, is it? Knowing Discord, he would simply tip the odds in his favor.

Furthermore, look at the behaviors of the Mane 6. He made Fluttershy cruel with just a touch. However, this can easily be explained in terms of probability. If (and this is just another example) she has a 97% chance of being kind and caring and a 3% chance of being wicked and evil (Flutterrage, Flutterwitch, etc.), then all Discord did was change the probability. Now she would have a 99% chance of being a jerk and a meager 1% chance of recovering her old self without Twilight's influence. To Discord, everything is a matter of chance.

Well, now that Discord has been labeled an abomination of quantum mechanics and probability distributions, let us proceed to something slightly less theoretical.

Starswirl the Bearded wrote a spell in a notebook that he was never able to complete, correct?
And this spell would have essentially made him a god, correct?
Do you know who else did the exact same thing? (It isn't Dumbledore or Gandalf.)

Albert Einstein spent years alone in Princeton trying to come up with a theory that would unify the laws of electromagnetism and gravity. This has been frequently called the "God Equation" or the "Theory of Everything," but Einstein was never able to complete this task.

Einstein died before any significant progress was made... leaving behind a notebook with all of the work from the past few years--a notebook that might have unified the known laws of nature if it had been completed.

And speaking of unification... what is the word for the unification of separate parties with the intent to find company, companionship, and a genuinely reliable relationship? Friendship, of course.

In short, Starswirl the Bearded was the Albert Einstein of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and he failed to complete his "ultimate unification god-formula." Twilight Sparkle managed to succeed in his stead. So where does this leave Twilight, who is now essentially the Princess of Friendship (unification)?

Currently, there is an effort being made to complete Einstein's work and combine the laws of gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear forces, and strong nuclear forces. It is called string theory. I am no expert in this field, but I do know that it aims to unite all laws of the universe in one series of equations based around the concept of innumerable "strings" that connect all particles in the universe to one another.

So, now that Twilight cannot get any closer to her friends... why not unite all of Equestria? She has already gotten a head-start, now that Discord has been redeemed.

Everypony, this is what I believe Season 4 will be--the String Theory of Friendship. Twilight will work to create a paradise where all ponies, draconequi, zebras, dragons, and so forth alike can live in perfect harmony.

I suspect that Gilda, Flim, Flam, and the other antagonists will learn what Twilight has. Now that she is an alicorn (basically an Enlightened One of Equestria), she will share her wisdom with the world and produce a new kingdom... one where everyone can have the wisdom of an alicorn, and everyone has a special place in the workings of the harmonious world.

So... there you have it. Twilight is an utter genius in terms of unification (and perhaps theoretical physics).

  • Just an interesting bit of information here. Do you know why Einstein started to focus solely on the "god-formula" and began to ignore everyone else's research? Because Niels Bohr's model of quantum mechanics invalidated Einstein's previous assertions about gravity. In a manner of speaking, the Discord=Starswirl theory may have some truth. According to the theory, the Discord persona seized control over Starswirl's crazed mind. This parallels how Bohr's quantum mechanics blew Einstein's relativity out of the water.
Discord 'Oh, this again' S2E02

1% chance of spilling, 99% chance of detonation